Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 09-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Taipan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Blue/Purple Carpet.....

I was uncertain if it was a Stichodactyla mertensii or Stichodactyla haddoni at first. After some research and inquiry; it was concluded that it is a haddoni. The unique coloration and shape/pattern of its shorter/stubbier tentacles is what initially attracted me to it. Enjoy.....

Here's what it looked like at the LFS attached to the side of the aquarium:

Here's what it looked like in the bag after collection from the aquarium. Notice the stark difference in colouration and unique tentacle pattern. Also; no visible (tiny) oral disc which is another anomaly.

Pictures of it being acclimated in my sump:

Pictures of it in my display (it had taken up a home in an empty clam shell):

Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 PM

rickcasa is on a distinguished road

Stunning colours!! Did you get rid of your other carpets to make room for these 2??

How does the purple one eat?
"The Cavernous Reef" - 180g RC Build In-Progress: Miracles (72x24x24) 3-Sided Starphire; 2X exterior overflows; closed loop w Speedwave 1320; SRO 3000int; Speedwave 2640 return; Aquatronica controller with 3x dosing pumps; 2X Maxspect Razor 160w; 2X MP40wes, 2X MP20; 54" acrylic sump with ATS. Corner 90g Reef.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Banned

uniboob is on a distinguished road

Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcasa View Post
Stunning colours!! Did you get rid of your other carpets to make room for these 2??

How does the purple one eat?
I still have a nice collection of carpets and BTAs. I have a HUGE Red Carpet that I will post later down the road. You've probably already seen pics of it elsewhere. lol If you take a look at the upper left hand corner at the first display pic....you'll see another purple carpet and a pastel green carpet in the mix

The purple one eats and readily takes whatever I feed it. Very sticky.

Uniboob - Sweet shots. Very nice.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Banned

uniboob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
I still have a nice collection of carpets and BTAs. I have a HUGE Red Carpet that I will post later down the road. You've probably already seen pics of it elsewhere. lol If you take a look at the upper left hand corner at the first display pic....you'll see another purple carpet and a pastel green carpet in the mix

The purple one eats and readily takes whatever I feed it. Very sticky.

Uniboob - Sweet shots. Very nice.
Thanks. These are the only photos I could find right now, have a few more bubbletip varieties.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 AM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Where do you get your carpet anemones in Ontario?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:01 AM

There isn't a favourite or favoured lfs that I source my carpets from. I've purchased from pretty much all of them at one point in time. I've been fortunate enough to have a good relationship with most of the lfs and they've been very kind to keep an eye out for ones I'm looking for; for myself and for my friends. They've also allowed me to try and save/rescue the odd rough looking one as well.

I've said before - we're very fortunate in the Great Toronto Area (GTA) to have so many competitive and quality lfs. Throughout my travels; I haven't seen a more competitive retail environment than the GTA.

P.S. - Malus are very nice and not often seen. Nice to see you have one in your collection.

Last edited by Taipan; 09-11-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Additional Info.....
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 AM

Thumbs up Huge Red Carpet.....

Final Batch (for a while ) of anemone pics.....

Currently being housed in my refugium (90 Gallon Tank) is one of the largest Red Carpet Haddoni's that I have seen in captivity as a hobbyist. I know of only one other member that has one as big (if not bigger and nicer ). The span of this anemone is easily a minimum of 24" in diameter. I am currently working on a new display tank and display refugium (forever ongoing) to properly display and house this wonderful specimen . Yeah....I have a soft spot for anemones. Enjoy.....

You'll note some of the various "Flame" Bubble Tip Anemones in the upper right hand corner :

These are pics after it has snacked on a tiger shrimp that I fed it. You'll note that I've been experimenting with different clown fish as well. The Picasso Clarkii in the above pics was just way too aggressive and possessive of its surroundings - so he was sent off to another hobbyist and these were introduced. :

Last edited by Taipan; 09-12-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Spelling and additional info.....
Old 09-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Din Gior is on a distinguished road

My RFAs:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88986
Old 11-15-2013, 04:03 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirsphynx View Post
I'm guessing at it being a mini mini, I bought it probably a year ago or longer and has not split or grown yet. I also have a small yellow one that has not grown and it's about the size of a pencil eraser. Yours looks just like mine. I'll definitely have to read through your thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirsphynx View Post
If I can manage a pic I will but it's so darn tiny (might be even smaller than I said) and has itself in an awkward spot. I'm surprised I haven't lost sight of it in my 100g.

Tags
anemone