Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-24-2008, 02:56 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road
Default Tax Freedom Day

Thought this would be an appropriate topic for this time of year.

Yesterday was tax freedom day in the United States so I looked up when ours is. It was June 20 last year (Canadian Taxpayers Federation). That is 58 days longer we get to work for our government than the Americans.

Canadians pay every cent they make to the government for the first 171 days of the year. Canadians work for the government for 58 days longer than Americans. Here is an example of some of the costs of big government:

58 days more work until Canadian tax freedom day= 8.2 40 hour work weeks, or 328 hours.

328 hours @ $15/hour=$ 4920.00. And that is just the difference between the US and Canada. If you really want to get mad figure out the amount for the entire 171 days.

Keep in mind this is ALL taxes, property, sales, gas, alcohol, tobacco etc, etc.

The cost of a nanny state is pretty extraordinary.

Just imagine the reef tanks we could all have if our friends in government didn't steal six months worth of our income.

Have a nice day!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:56 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Thought this would be an appropriate topic for this time of year.

Yesterday was tax freedom day in the United States so I looked up when ours is. It was June 20 last year (Canadian Taxpayers Federation). That is 58 days longer we get to work for our government than the Americans.

Canadians pay every cent they make to the government for the first 171 days of the year. Canadians work for the government for 58 days longer than Americans. Here is an example of some of the costs of big government:

58 days more work until Canadian tax freedom day= 8.2 40 hour work weeks, or 328 hours.

328 hours @ $15/hour=$ 4920.00. And that is just the difference between the US and Canada. If you really want to get mad figure out the amount for the entire 171 days.

Keep in mind this is ALL taxes, property, sales, gas, alcohol, tobacco etc, etc.

The cost of a nanny state is pretty extraordinary.

Just imagine the reef tanks we could all have if our friends in government didn't steal six months worth of our income.

Have a nice day!!!
Whats that about a dead horse... I figured it out, i'm not mad at all.... oh and btw if you only have a 40hr work week you have nothing to complain about at all.

Last edited by Pan; 04-24-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

But you are forgetting one important thing. Our taxes pay for our universal health care system. Don't you know that you universal health care system is the envy of the world?

Last edited by Treebeard; 04-24-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:14 PM

workn2hard2day is on a distinguished road

you could always move
Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 PM

CLINT is on a distinguished road

I have been taxed $1700 in 1 check.That was a big chunk of change for them in my 2 weeks of hard work.I wish they only took so much then said hey thats enough this check maybe this guy deserves to keep some more of his money.LOL.Oh well what do you do.Clint
Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
But you are forgetting one important thing. Our taxes pay for our universal health care system. Don't you know that you universal health care system is the envy of the world?

I don't even want to know what my last three surgeries would have cost me! I'm sure more than I paid in taxes in that year!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post

I'm sure the millions of Americans who live without health insurance were dancing in the streets yesterday.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:38 PM

No kidding! The newspapers are filled with stories of Americans sick and left dying in the streets due to the lack of health insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
I'm sure the millions of Americans who live without health insurance were dancing in the streets yesterday.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:14 PM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

The tax freedom day information comes from the Fraser Institute.

They have definite opinion on the role of government and taxes.

From their web site:
"Canadian Tax Rates
Canada’s tax rates, both personal and business, continue to hinder economic progress and competitiveness. This is because they discourage the very productive behaviour we need more of – hard work, savings, investment, risk-taking and entrepreneurship.
If Canada is to truly achieve its potential, then we need to take a coordinated and concerted effort to lower individual and business taxes at all levels of government."

There are problems with how they calculated Tax Freedom Day"
Here's what an Osgoode Hall Professor says about it
http://osgoode.yorku.ca/media2.nsf/8...e!OpenDocument

The Fraser Institutes "research" on Taxes, Global Warming, the Tobacco Industry and Public Schools should be looked at warily until they take into account the criticisms with their experimental procedures.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 PM

The gentlemen who penned that piece is a Mr. Neil Brooks. A little googling confirms thats Mr. Brooks is a contributor to the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA). It would also appear that the CCPA is left wing organization, largely funded by unions and ran by unions leaders. Therefore, it is no surprise that Mr. Brooks, nor the CCPA would hold the opinion that we are overtaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
The tax freedom day information comes from the Fraser Institute.

They have definite opinion on the role of government and taxes.

From their web site:
"Canadian Tax Rates
Canada’s tax rates, both personal and business, continue to hinder economic progress and competitiveness. This is because they discourage the very productive behaviour we need more of – hard work, savings, investment, risk-taking and entrepreneurship.
If Canada is to truly achieve its potential, then we need to take a coordinated and concerted effort to lower individual and business taxes at all levels of government."

There are problems with how they calculated Tax Freedom Day"
Here's what an Osgoode Hall Professor says about it
http://osgoode.yorku.ca/media2.nsf/8...e!OpenDocument

The Fraser Institutes "research" on Taxes, Global Warming, the Tobacco Industry and Public Schools should be looked at warily until they take into account the criticisms with their experimental procedures.