Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 09-04-2009, 04:34 PM

sarzeff is on a distinguished road
Default New to West Kootenays - new tank, need supplies

Hi everyone,

I just moved to Trail, BC and I am trying to set up my first salt water tank. For now I am doing FOWLR, but I need to find some live rock! Anyone know of a store in the area, or someone who could sell me some? A good place to order online even? I have a 25 gallon tank I am trying to get going.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:57 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef sarzeff!

Not sure about local but check out some of our vendors on the site. Most are more than willing to ship and are great to deal with.

Ryan
Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Hi Welcome to the area, and Canreef. I answered your Pm before I saw this post, and left you some details about stores around here. I only know a few guys around who are into reef keeping, but all are really good guys and we're all willing to help out any way we can.

I usually use J&L aquatics in Vancouver for salt supplies because even with shipping it works out to be cheeper. The last shipment I got came the next day too, not sure how long live rock would take though.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef!

If you are looking for some liverock, I would check with Interior Reef (one of our vendors out of Kelowna) as they are closing down and selling off their stuff. Not sure of the pricing but you would probably get a good deal and can ship something heavy like that through Greyhound.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:45 PM

Hey thanks for the info, Interior Reef has it on sale for $7.99 per lb which is not bad and shipping is cheap on the Greyhound. J&L has cheaper live rock but their shipping costs more and it is further away so it might be safer to go with the place in Kelowna since it's only a few hours.

Hopefully I can find some locally or something but if not that is what I will do!
Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Take a peek in the classifeds on CanReef too. Some reefers are willing to ship. I have over 100 lbs of live rock for sale. I'm willing to ship it.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:32 AM

freddy is on a distinguished road

Welcome to canreef,just so you know did a live order from J@L a couple of months ago,it came into cranbrook on pacific coastal and only cost 36 dollars,didn't think that was to bad.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks Freddy,

that's not too bad at all. Did you buy rock? I have heard, but only from 1 person, that their rock is not great.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:04 PM

freddy is on a distinguished road

No I didn't buy live rock just some fish and a buddy got some corals,arrived same day exellent condition.The thing about ordering live rock online is that you don't know what your getting sizes,shapes ect..If you can buy locally to see and pick out what you want is better.Phone kootney critters in castlegar see what they have,I know they have saltwater fish,might be a bit expensive bot here in the kootney's we really don't have much choice.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:22 PM

I was just at KK last week and didn't look like they have much, but they were expecting an order. I might phone or head out there tomorrow. If they're reasonable price I will just go for that but I'm thinking about taking my chancs ordering online if they are insanely priced, which they may be.

Petopia in Castlegar might be starting salt but apparently they have been saying that for quite some time so we'll see. I'm supposed to talk to the owner this week about it, as the girl who was there didn't really know.

Tags
castlegar, kootenay, live rock, new tank, trail