Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

If you guys play the reflections JUST RIGHT you can make out what I was wearing
Old 04-01-2009, 05:20 AM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

??? Girl Underwear??? aaaand, I think I see the outline of a black lace bra in there too....
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I have finalized my purchase list.
What's left on the list for the rest of your build?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'm waiting on a pair of drilled 33 gallon tanks to wrap up my water-change station in the adjacent office. Will post pics once they're plumbed in.

Remaining items:

- ro/di
- 2 x tunze 6105
- profilux with doser (doing 2-part or balling)
- heaters
- test kits
- salt
- 2-part supplies

I figure I could use my old seio 620s and dose manually for a while so the ro/di and heaters would get me started with water I guess. I've waited quite a while now so I may just leave it empty until I have everything on my list.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM

brickwood is on a distinguished road

Awesome build. I love the stand. Very well thought out build.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 AM
Gold Member

Few more updates on my build. I've been working on adding my water-change station to the office that shares the wall behind the display tank. I bought the modular units for home entertainment at ikea. We used these upstairs in the tv room and really liked them. I beefed up the cabinets a ton with plywood, metal brackets and 2x4s then mounted the entire thing to a few wall studs.

This shows the tank in the livingroom and the water-change station on the other side.

Looking into the office...

Old 04-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Gold Member

Doors open.

A 33 gallon will sit in each cabinet on the right. Each tank will have an emergency drain plumbed to the basement. The top tank will have a float valve and hold freshwater. A valve will empty to the bottom mixing tank. To add the mixed water to the display the eheim will be on a switch.

On the left will sit the Profilux, dosing jugs, test kits etc. A small fridge I have kicking around is tucked beside the desk on the other wall for frozen food.

The pvc is the drain to the basement. The drain in the display tank stand also connects to this line in the wall. The flex hose will connect the eheim to the 20 gallon tank sitting under the display tank.

I ran 3 dedicated 15A circuits up to here. I need to mount receptacles in here somehow. I left the wall socket accessible as well. You can see one of the metal brackets here. What I did since the ikea stuff is half cardboard is I placed a 2x4 inside the other cabinets and attached the bracket to it through the shared cabinet walls. I re-enforced other areas like this as well as attached a horizontal 2x4 to the back of the stand (it mounts into the other 2x4 re-enforcements) and pinned this to the wall studs.

Last edited by lastlight; 04-07-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Gold Member

The 10 gallon i picked up from canreefer outtafocus tonight.

After I gave it a little love. I wanted to replace his bulkheads since I wanted them 1" all the way to my sump and they reduced to hose/ less than 1". Not until after I sawed the pvc off the bulkheads did I notice these were siliconed in from gasket and nut side. I had to drill the plastic and pry like crazy to remove them!

This shows the area where the fuge will sit or should i say float. I'm building a shelf so it sits above my return piping. It will be fed off that manifold (that also currently feeds into my 20 gallon waterchange reservoir under there). Two drains into the sump gives me peace of mind when running this in-line like I intend to.

Other side of the stand. Hard to see but I plumbed a mag3 i had kicking around in. To do a waterchange i isolate this 20g reservoir by shutting it's manifold feed off (it normally is always in circulation with the sump). Then I flip a switch and the mag3 empties 20g into my basement. I attached some type of threaded nipple i found in the irrigation section of HD to the intake and then trimmed it to leave maybe 1mm of space between the tank bottom. It empties NEARLY all of the tank before catching air. The topoff comes from my mixed water in the office. The tie-wraps you see on that pipe are directing the clear flex tubing from the water-change cabinet into the tank.

Last edited by lastlight; 04-07-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Gold Member

Stand drain heading to basement. Hard to see clear flex hose connecting water-change station to display.

Under the floor in the downstairs bathroom. So glad I chose t-bar ceiling for down there!

Here's where I got REALLY LAZY. I had a drain put in the floor for what I thought was going to be a fishroom. It happens to lie beneath a benchpress I barely ever use. I managed to snake it in somehow! The junk I tossed in the window to keep the neighbors from gawking at me when I run is sorta permanent now unless I cut the pipe lol. GHETTO I know...but Tony told me to do it this way.

Last edited by lastlight; 04-07-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 AM

lobsterboy is on a distinguished road

sick man, i cant wait till you start to fill it.