Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-01-2009, 05:18 PM

spikehs is on a distinguished road

Tank should be sent out sometime in the next few days... then a week for delivery, so i'm crossing my fingers (but not holding my breath!) that I get it by the end of next week.

In the meantime I've put my Eco Rock (from BRS) + a bit of sand in my 10gal topoff, added salt, and some probidio to help kickstart the cycle. I figure I might as well get that on the way, so the cycle for the tank is minimized.

My probidio (biodigest + bioOptim) is almost out... I dont like using it on smaller tanks, as once you crack the viles you have to throw the rest out, which seems like it wastes a lot of product. Was thinking of using zeobak, thing this is a suitable alternative?

I like the fact that it comes in a dropper, and you only put in 1 drop per week per 25gal. Should last my 15gal tank a loooooooong time.

Thoughts?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 PM

well the new tank came over xmas break and it looks great! Its actually thicker acrylic than the last one (which seemed thick enough for me) so I'm stoked to get it wet.

Should be working on it this week/weekend, so I'll try to get some pics up when its done.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
If that solar panel doesn't work out for you and you're up for trying something a little different you could power a small fan with the heat generated by the halide. It's called thermoelectric and all you need is a Peltier plate which you'll mount to a hot spot on your light fixture and it will generate a small amount of electricity, should be enough to power a small computer fan. The whole system will probably be smaller and less noticeable.

A Peltier plate looks like this:

You may need a heat sink on the one side to increase the heat flow through the plate.

I know pelt's cool on one side, and give off heat on the other when electricity APPLIED to them. never knew they could generate elec as well???? All those 12V Koolatron coolers use pelt's. I used to use them in hardcore computer overclocking. it's neat watching it get Ice cold as you apply electricity to it

Edit, used google AFTER I posted LOL. NEAT!!!

PS Awesome Tank

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

ok seriously...you're too old to be babysat.

what gives?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Ha! I'll see if I can get some pics tonight, although there isn't a lot to see. Got water/rocks and a couple of damsels in there (decided, for now, to go with cheap fish)

Having a terrible microbubble problem though, perhaps with some pics people will be able to give me some suggestions, cause its driving me nuts.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 PM

F@#$! No pics for a while now, because I'm an idiot. Was changing the filter and didn't have a backup valve on it, snapped the handle and dumped ALL the tank water onto my floor. Managed to get it absorbed without too much damange, but now every single banked is soaked, my rug is toast. I suppose it could have been worse, as it didn't leak to the downstairs condo (I dont think).

Lesson learnt. I wan't to grab an eheim pump today to replace it. I would assume Golds has the best prices?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:16 PM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

usually a good assumption, if they have it.