Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts on filter socks vs more flow in sump

I've been noticing a lot of detritus buildup lately and I've been debating wether or not to use a filter sock to prevent this

The sump has roughly 3000gph of flow within it

(Drain, powerhead and reactor outflow and skimmer output)

So what I want to know is should I put a filter sock on the drain or just add another powerhead to my sump

The display is bare bottom and gets almost no buildup

My only concern about having another powerhead in the sump is the possibility of detritus returning to the display

Also I don't have any nutrient problems in the system and do a 40% wc every 2 weeks
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road
Smile

Personally I like filter socks. Keeps sump and water colomn clean
Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

I run socks as well, keeps the water very clean. I have a few sets and change them out frequently.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:39 PM

Nasoblond is on a distinguished road

Ive been running socks for a year now and my water has never been cleaner. Makes a huge difference and change them about every two days....
Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 PM

gqlmao is on a distinguished road

I love how absolutely clean the water looks with filter socks, its a pain to clean and switch out every 3-4 day but it is worth it. A bonus is if you remove the sock frequently enough it will bring along the nitrate/phosphate causing detritus.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I took my filter socks off a year ago and I think it's been way better for my corals. More food for them. But I also vacum out my sump often due to the detritus in there.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 PM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road

I put on a sock only when moving/disturbing/bastering inside my display... If I leave a sock on all the time (even as large as a 300 micron sock), it fills up in about an hour. (I've measured my return flow at 1600 GPH)
Old 01-17-2014, 12:35 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I just reworked my entire sump to no longer require filter socks. They're great in theory, but the good 200 micron felt socks that I have need to be replaced about every 18 hours or they clog up completely and overflow. It gets old quick. And fwiw, it think you're going to get detritus build up in a sump with lighting no matter what you do. The detritus, 9 times out of 10 is the byproduct of bacterial activity, which is taking place everywhere, especially in areas with light and corals. For the time that they're not overflowing, they definitely do make a difference in the amount of crap floating around however.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:49 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I go for the hybrid attack...

I run a sock for 24-48 hours after each waterchange, then wash it. I also clean out the sump every 3rd waterchange or so. I have a mini shop vac that sits onto a 5-gallon pail and I use that to suck the sump and overflow out. Easy peasy.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well, I tried a sponge,... then no sponge, ie unfiltered. And then a big 7" X 16" filter sock. Now I am back to the sponge.

My sump was actually designed for a big sponge between a couple baffles. I stopped using it, because early on I had high nitrates, and people were saying sponges were nitrate factories.

But with no sponge and going unfiltered, I had to clean my skimmer neck more often, and detritus collected in some areas of my sump. And in general my tank water was not as clear.

The filter sock worked really well, but it was a lot of work cleaning them with bleach, etc.

When I finally got my nitrates down to zero, I tried the sponge again. It is certainly the simplest and quickest to clean option. It takes me at most 2 min to rinse and squeeze it out a few times in the sink, and then insert it back in my sump. I do have to clean it more often, every 2 or 3 days, but it is so quick and easy, so I have no problem with that. And if I am away for a while, it just moves up between the baffles a bit to let some water flow by, no worse than no filter at all. And my nitrates still always remain at zero now.