Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-17-2011, 04:42 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
I'm using soda ash, & just checked the ph with lights out it reads 8.2 with an elos kit.
Try testing the pH at the end of lights on - at the end of lights out, the pH gets depressed because everything in your tank isn't photosynthesizing, it's respiring through the night adding more CO2 to the tank depressing the pH.

Also, I'd switch your Alk supplement to sodium bicarbonate right away and see if that makes the difference for you. I suspect it will.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:42 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Once a week testing and dosing should have solved the issue. Something just isn't right. Do you have a TDS meter? You're using BRS stuff right? I could go mix up say 1/4 tsp in 2 cups of RO/DI water and test the TDS of each, then you can do the same. Could rule out a concentration issue, although I don't think that's likely. Have you tried emailing BRS? They have pretty good customer service.
Not if he's using the wrong supplement.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
Try testing the pH at the end of lights on - at the end of lights out, the pH gets depressed because everything in your tank isn't photosynthesizing, it's respiring through the night adding more CO2 to the tank depressing the pH.

Also, I'd switch your Alk supplement to sodium bicarbonate right away and see if that makes the difference for you. I suspect it will.
I've retested after the lights have been on for an 1.5 hours & it reads 8.1-8.2 based on color. If I do switch to the recipe 2 Alk supp how will that help with the ca levels? Is it through the slightly lower ph that ca is able to elevate because of the decreased alkalinity?

Last edited by spawn; 11-18-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

Last winter it seemed the ph was lower. Which is why I had chosen the recipe 1 for the slight raising effect. & it worked until august from march all paras were spot on. How does the system just change Like that?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:34 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

ok so lets see if I got this right. at 4ml/gal you were causing percipitation and now your down to 1.67/gal and tyour finding you Ca is dropping.

seams pretty simple.. the number you want is between 1.67 and 4.

so try bump up your Ca additive a bit, say 2.0/gal reduce testing to every second day while you dial it in. once a week is how often a known stable tank can wait.

I personaly don't like the home made dosing as I find the consistancy of it isn't the best, but some people like it and have good luck.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
ok so lets see if I got this right. at 4ml/gal you were causing percipitation and now your down to 1.67/gal and tyour finding you Ca is dropping.

seams pretty simple.. the number you want is between 1.67 and 4.

so try bump up your Ca additive a bit, say 2.0/gal reduce testing to every second day while you dial it in. once a week is how often a known stable tank can wait.

I personaly don't like the home made dosing as I find the consistancy of it isn't the best, but some people like it and have good luck.

Steve
Yes that's it! percipitation? How many people do you know doing much more than 1.5ml per gal? Correct. Do you mean increase testing to every 2 days? Home made dosing?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:

I will likely do this Thx.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Did you actually measure the new SW batch before adding?

Again as others said, dosing is to maintain what your tank consumes. After a WC supplement back up to your target levels and once you have matched your dosing to coral uptake, leave the dose settings alone.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Did you actually measure the new SW batch before adding?

Again as others said, dosing is to maintain what your tank consumes. After a WC supplement back up to your target levels and once you have matched your dosing to coral uptake, leave the dose settings alone.
Yes
Old 11-18-2011, 02:52 AM
Banned

Quote:

just retested PH @ end of main lights out & it's at 8.4 so not much of a swing... maybe like .2-.3