Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 PM

Millepora_Maniac is on a distinguished road
Default Tunze Osmolator problems

HI All,

I have been running two osmolators on two different tanks for about two years now. The one on my main tank had the pump die on me, so I replaced it, then all of a sudden I thought that pump went too. I changed it out and realised that the problem is the controller or something else.

The other one on my office tank is fine, never changed a pump, never had an issue at all.

Can anyone else relate? What did you do? and is there someone who will fix these locally?

thanks a million, getting sick of lugging buckets, I thought that's what I paid 300 bucks for...

90 gal SPS display+65 gallon mixed reef
GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

My osmolator did this back in the fall too. I haven't been able to dig into it to really see what's going on but, from the cursory inspection I did, I'm suspecting the voltage regulator IC is toast. When the pump is unplugged, the controller works fine but as soon as the pump is plugged in it causes the head unit to either shut off or not output the right signals. Same effect when i tried a new power supply. To me that suggests that the voltage regulator can't handle the draw of the pump.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:33 AM

jordsyke is on a distinguished road

I just bought a broken one from some guy on here, i never questioned the seller as I fixed it on my own, turned out to be optical sensor. i bought one from the north american tunze guy for $15 shipped and rewired it. I dunno if this is your problem but if the green light is on and the sensor is dry tjen that is probably the sensor
Old 02-05-2014, 01:06 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

In response to "What did you do?", when my Tunze began to malfunction I sold it for $50 then bought two cheep float switches on ebay and plugged in a Maxi Jet. Now my Apex is the auto top off system. Can the Digital Aquatics unit do the same?

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Yup. This is common IMO. I've had numerous Tunze's, and have always had pump problems, and one controller failure. You can usually pick up replacement parts at J&L.

I got frustrated with the Tunze, so I went for the cheaper JBJ ATO, and used a Maxi-Jet 1200 pump... Ran for years on numerous systems without a single issue. Biggest piece of advice with any mechanical float switch setup is regular maintenance.

They call it addiction for a reason...

Tags
ato, issue, osmolator, problem, tunze