Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 PM

niQo is on a distinguished road

I've been battling bryopsis for about 6 months although I'm pretty sure it's been in my tank much longer. It's not the feathery variety either, looks more like turf algae, but is definitely anchored in the rock.

I only have about 12 gallons, so I just need two pills! Anyone got some leftover? If not I'll buy some myself before transferring tanks!
Old 05-07-2017, 04:40 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

3.5 months in and absolutely no bryopsis in the tank. No algae of any kind. Only some Cyno.

When I had bryopsis I was always battling phosphates. I had to use tons of gfo to control phosphates that were off the chart. Since I have rid the tank of bryopsis and the subsequent water changes my phosphates have been below .01ppm. I have not used gfo in 4 months. Nitrates are also at 0. I have a very low bio-load in this tank. Only a couple sps , several very large frogspawn one fish and 2 shrimp.

I used to always think that the phosphates was stored in the rocks and in the deep sand bed. It appears that the phosphates in the tank were stored in the algae in the tank. Once I rid the tank of the algae the phosphates are gone. This is good news because I was worried that I was going to have to take all the rocks and the sand out and cook the rocks to rid the tank of the phosphates.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:14 PM

Dendromad is on a distinguished road

does this have any effect on bubble algae?
Old 05-07-2017, 03:18 PM

Etaloche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendromad View Post
does this have any effect on bubble algae?
I did not notice a change in bubble algae unfortunately.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:38 PM

niQo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
I used to always think that the phosphates was stored in the rocks and in the deep sand bed. It appears that the phosphates in the tank were stored in the algae in the tank. Once I rid the tank of the algae the phosphates are gone. This is good news because I was worried that I was going to have to take all the rocks and the sand out and cook the rocks to rid the tank of the phosphates.
I find that very interesting, and it makes sense to me as well.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:41 AM

ReefMadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
3.5 months in and absolutely no bryopsis in the tank. No algae of any kind. Only some Cyno.
It appears that the phosphates in the tank were stored in the algae in the tank. Once I rid the tank of the algae the phosphates are gone. This is good news because I was worried that I was going to have to take all the rocks and the sand out and cook the rocks to rid the tank of the phosphates.
this was the case for me as well.
i loved reading about how my husbandry must be reckless, my bioload is too big or i feed too much. in fact, i am completely strict with my fish/coral keeping and take the hobby seriously... after all this stuff isn't cheap but sure can appear so when your tank is swarmed with problem algae.
i'm 9 days into treatment and am optimistic that it is going to work out fine from the progress to this point. pretty amazing stuff really.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

One_Divided is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to One_Divided

Hey guys, I thought I would share. I had my bryopsis return recently, so I decided to try the Fluc treatment too. I wasn't quite ready to order a huge batch to treat my 200 gallons, so I bought 2 150mg caps from the pharmacy to see if a small dose would do anything. The bryopsis I have is only in my 30 gallon frag tank connected to the 180 display. I decided to spot treat the bryopsis spots by basting the concentrated mixture (mixed with tank water) into the algae patches. I've gotta say, 5 days later and it's reduced by 75%. I can only imagine at this rate, it'll be gone in a few more days.

So if anyone is wondering if they really need 20mg/g, I'd say we can get away with far less. This was 1.5mg/g. Hard to say if the spot treating in the slightly isolated tank didn't help a lot though.

I will post pics soon. cheers!
Old 06-06-2017, 01:35 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw1sfu View Post
Just purchased 20x200mg tabs think I only need to use 6 of these. Will post how it works once I recieve it and begin treatment.
hey dcw1sfu I wanted to message you but your inbox is full
Old 06-06-2017, 01:54 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

if anyone has 10-11 pills let me know otherwise ill just order some
Old 06-07-2017, 04:23 AM

kengeroo is on a distinguished road
Default bryopsis comeback

so the drug wiped out the bryopsis in feb,,,

I have a couple of patches coming back.....

starting an experimental dosage plan...
65 gallon tank...

1 capsule a day for 6 days...

we'll see what happens...