Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 PM

NanoCat is on a distinguished road
Default Calgary Flood trying to save tank!

Hi all,
We're in the neighbourhood of Hillhurst.
We had no power for 48 hours but managed to keep the main tank warm by boiling water on our camp stove, floating new bags of hot water every 75 minutes continuously... We had a battery back up for our MP10 so we had minimal flow... that battery lasted the full 48 hours... but no light of course.
Last night the power came back on and it looks like everyone in the main tank is ok... some corals may still die in the next few days cause of all the fluctuations and lack of flow/light but we will see.

The sump/refugium died of course. Smelt awful.
We've cleaned it out and now need to mix up some extra salt water in it because our reserve bucket isn't enough to replace the whole sump.

Does anyone know the minimum amount of time that you need to mix salt water for? I know 24 hrs is ideal but less would be better.
We use H2Ocean salt. I know the salt type can make a difference.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or first hand knowledge as we try to stumble through this.

I know it could have been so much worse.

Our hearts go out to those who lost their tanks, their homes, their businesses...
It is just nuts what the city looks like.

Again if anyone as any tips or knowledge it would be appreciated.

Like does anyone know how hard it is to get OR water around town?
And if anyone could spare some chaeto, that would be so great.

Thank you!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 PM

Duker is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear that your family, home and tank is going to be ok.
As far as mixing water and salt, sometime si only mix it for 2-3 hours. But i do use a mag 9.5 to mix my salt. MIx it for an hour, check salinity. Mix it for another 30 min check salinity, mix additional 30 min and if the salinity is the same, i'd use it. Its going to be less damaging than the foul sump water getting in there. 1-2 hours if your in a pinch should be just fine (depending on your salt mixing pump size of course). Good luck!

75 gallon in-wall SPS dominant and some sweet zoas, attached 30 gallon refugium/seahorse tank, attached 15 gallon mangroves/bad boy tank/pod factory, 40 gallon sump.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I have seen people use water that was aggressively mixed for only 1 hour with no obvious ill-effects. Since you seem to be doing a large water change, maybe let it mix for a bit longer (2 hours).
Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 PM

fishyfolks is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you are back home. Living out in Vancouver, we just can't believe what's been happening out there. Our thoughts are with you all now and in the coming weeks/months while you try to get things back to 'normal'

As far as the water goes, when I lived in Calgary, I'd occasionally just use tap water for water changes. However, my concern now would be whether or not the turbidity has brought any unwanted properties into your tap water. Do you know if the city has tested for copper or metal properties as well as what the ph is at? I know sometimes flooding can really affect water quality.

Regarding mixing time, I have had tanks 'crash' where I've had to mix water FAST. I've done emergency water changes within an hour. I use a powerful pump as well, and I know exactly how much salt I need to add to my 26 gallon bucket though, so that probably helps. I my add salt and water (i throw a thermometer in while adding water so that i can monitor the temp as I go and get it as close to my tank temp as possible) and let it mix with a heater for an hour. It certainly isn't ideal, but desperate times......

Good luck!!
175 Gallon Tank, 33 Gallon Sump, 2 x AI COLOR SOL, Leather corals, colts corals, several brain corals, misc frogspawn, misc sps corals, purple tang, yellow tang, naso tang, hippo tang, 4 clown fish, 5 clams and many many inverts
Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the concern and replies.

Do you think it would be safe to get ro water from the safe-way culligan filter machine right now. We had some at home from before the flood but we need another 15-20g to start the sump again. We don't own a ro-di filter and I am not sure if that would even be enough to remove the possible contaminates from the city water system.

any ideas.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

No, I think all the systems that are tied into the Calgary water system are going to be inadequate to handle the high contaminant levels.

Worse comes to worse, buy distilled or pre-bottled water (i.e. 5 gallon jugs from a water company). The filters in the stores are probably overwhelmed.

Good luck.

Anthony
Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 PM

fishyfolks is on a distinguished road

I dont think anyone can say 100% yes, but itd be more filtered than whats coming out of your tap. Id go for it. Your water is safe to drink now, which should mean itd be okay for your tank, but the city has said there could still be 'sediment' in the water. (which is why I'd be concerned) Id say its better than not using RO of any kind. While you are there, check to see if they sell the 5gallon 'pre-bottled' water. That might be better being that it would be pre-flood water.

Honestly though, if it were me, I'd feel comfortable using the culligan water. Its really your call though.
175 Gallon Tank, 33 Gallon Sump, 2 x AI COLOR SOL, Leather corals, colts corals, several brain corals, misc frogspawn, misc sps corals, purple tang, yellow tang, naso tang, hippo tang, 4 clown fish, 5 clams and many many inverts
Old 06-23-2013, 09:44 PM

ashr is on a distinguished road

Wishing you and anyone else who was effected by this the best!

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoCat View Post
Thanks for the concern and replies.

Do you think it would be safe to get ro water from the safe-way culligan filter machine right now. We had some at home from before the flood but we need another 15-20g to start the sump again. We don't own a ro-di filter and I am not sure if that would even be enough to remove the possible contaminates from the city water system.

any ideas.

Thanks
If you can get to my house I'll give you the rodi water and fresh saltwater. I use h2 ocean as well. You bring the containers.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherd View Post
If you can get to my house I'll give you the rodi water and fresh saltwater. I use h2 ocean as well. You bring the containers.
Hi! Thanks so much, but we just got back from "ocean's" and bought some ordi water from him, should be good now. But thank you for the offer!

Tags
calgary flood, save tank