Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

When I said crazy glue I meant the Eco tech brand I don't shut pumps down or anything works great way better then epoxy it does work also but more work for same results plus with crazy glue you can usually hide that you used any glue at all
Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

BRS extra thick glue. Shut down powerheads for 5 minutes and it usually holds long enough for things to encrust. I also use pegging method (search YouTube) and it works great.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 PM

Steve_French is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkaustinen View Post
I just buy the thick gel super glue from the dollar store, sets up under water in 10 min. I've been gluing pcs of tubing to my rocks and gluing my frags to a plug that fits in the tubing. Works awesome! I can move my plugs anywhere, anytime I want and remove the whole colony to frag if necessary! Just make sure it's the thick gel!
You wouldn't happen to have any pics of this would you? Empty tube and fragged tube?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkaustinen View Post
I just buy the thick gel super glue from the dollar store, sets up under water in 10 min. I've been gluing pcs of tubing to my rocks and gluing my frags to a plug that fits in the tubing. Works awesome! I can move my plugs anywhere, anytime I want and remove the whole colony to frag if necessary! Just make sure it's the thick gel!
I have achieved a similar effect and ability to move frags with just epoxy. And BTW, the epoxy is purple, so blends right in with the rock.

What I do with my epoxy putty, is before it is totally hard in the water, I slightly loosen and rotate the plug in the epoxy. Then after it is fully hardened, the plug with the frag can easily be removed and placed elsewhere. And the round hole is left, so that another frag can be put in its place without any more putty. I don't think you would be able to do this with gel glue, as it sets up too quickly. You can even create a bunch of blank holes this way with an empty frag plug, for future frag placings.

And with a larger frag, you can just stick the base stem into an old putty hole, without the frag plug. In many cases, no more putty is needed, as the frag usually jams in there pretty tight, and will quickly encrust to the putty.

Of course there is a time limit, as once the frags encrusts over the epoxy, it is there permanently. But it does work well for initial placements that you may want to move later.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I have achieved a similar effect and ability to move frags with just epoxy. And BTW, the epoxy is purple, so blends right in with the rock.
Great tips Pilot! What brand of epoxy do you use and where do you buy it?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
Great tips Pilot! What brand of epoxy do you use and where do you buy it?
Aquascape Milliput Epoxy (from J&L).
Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 PM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

I would never bother with Ecotech glue... It costs a fortune. The Dollar store crazy glue works just the same. Get the thick gel stuff and use that. $1 / tube as oppose to $20 for a bottle... Just my 2 cents.

As for mounting SPS, I like to use a sandwich method. Crazy glue, epoxy, crazy glue on the bottom of your SPS piece then push it firmly into place. Keep the powerheads off for 5 minutes and it's set and will not move.

For epoxy, I use Aquamend because it is relatively inexpensive, safe and works very well.