Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-05-2010, 05:38 AM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

Yup that's what I read too. But that's the amount I got where I saw good amount of reduction of algae. But then I was also using Tap water till about 2 months ago when I changed to RO/DI. I am not seeing any changes happening so I have not tried to reduce the dose.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:30 PM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

love how this thread gets jacked. People the mans has questions discuss your shiselle somewhere else like in the thread you started. To get back to the pressing question, Imo I wouldn't stop or cut back on major water changes. Skimmers are great for pulling out protein but they don't remove more than 30% of TOC (Total organic carbon) regardless of how expensive the skimmer is. I could also go into inorganic, but to put it simple skimmers don't remove them at all. I'll make it short. Fish,Coral Cleanup crew Skimmers all eat and remove organics,Algae scrubbers DO NOT. Algae eat Inorganics, Scrubbers remove Inorganics. and lastly Bacteria eat both organics and inorganics.
Water changes are still and will always be a good thing to do.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:52 PM

chris88 is on a distinguished road

where did the thread get jacked, there hasn't been one reply that has been off topic?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:31 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

anyone dosing VSV solution? (vodka sugar vinegar) I have ordered some pellets for my brs dual reactor but i am hearing pros and cons of both vodka and pellets. should we be dosing mb7 with the carbon source or is the bacterial load in the tank sufficient without additional bacterial?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

So venting on someone's thread isn't going off topic?
Anyway to explain I gave the amount I am dosing on my first post but did not give my tank dimensions which I should have so someone tried to clarify that, I also said there that it is higher than recommended for my tank size which I gave the reason why, and also why I have not lowered it after I changed to RO/DI.
I did forget to mention that I started with about .2 ml and increased dosing every 3 days by .2 ml till I reached a volume which I saw some improvements and continued at that level, though it is recommended to actually dose half that on a daily basis once you have reached that point.
And I don't have before and after pics cause I pretty much started dosing after my tank cycled. So if you ask if dosing is doing anything to my tank, IDK, after I got back from a week vacation last may though my tank was full of hair algae which went away after a few weeks when I got back to my daily task of taking care of my tank.
Also I do have a skimmer which is rated for a 180 gal tank as it is recommended to increase the oxygenation of your tank (aside of course from the other use of the skimmer).
Old 11-06-2010, 01:25 AM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

Bloodasp;So venting on someone's thread isn't going off topic?

Nope

Last edited by o.c.d.; 11-06-2010 at 01:38 AM.