Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 AM

Brent Shaver is on a distinguished road
Default Humidity vs electronics?

With having two tanks going, (only one SW) in a living room would this possibly case an issue with home electronics?
Reason I ask is because I lived on the Gulf Coast in Texas for a couple years and pretty much every TV, radio and even toaster had a best shelf life of a year. Between the humidity and salt air ate the circuts.

Has anyone ever had this issue, or would the levels be to low to be concerned? I dont want to fry my plazma or any other electronic toys..
Old 03-02-2010, 12:28 AM

ickmagnet is on a distinguished road

I have my 130 open top set up in a closed room with little circulation. My computer, a laptop, a few routers also share the same room with no issues.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

I havent experienced too many problems with this. Canada is fairly dry (depending where you are). When ever things got to humid where my tank was i would just crack a window a bit and everything went back to normal, I had my tank right beside my tv, dvd player, etc. and had not problems. granted its a smaller tank but you could still notice the extra moisture in the air.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I have a 150g humidifier smack dab in the middle of my house with various electronics around it. So far so good. When your fish tank evaporates it evaporates water, not salt, so the air in your house shouldn't be salty.

If humidity gets really bad you should invest in an HRV. Good for other things too, not just to dehumidify the house. I'll be investing in one myself in a couple of weeks here.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 AM
bvlester

Humidity always wins, electronics almost always losses unless they are in a epoxy coating. Most electronics have a coating on them these days so it should not be to much of an issue. As stated by freezetyle Canada is a dry country +1 there.

Bill