Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 PM

tgoeujon is on a distinguished road
Default drilling a tank

is drilling a tank a fairly simple thing or better left to someone who has done it before? any tips to make it easier? looking to upgrade from my 110 to a 230 but the 230 isnt drilled.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 PM

Reef Puffer is on a distinguished road

is pretty simple. make sure u keep it wet. practice on some scrap and u should b just fine. obviously dont try to drill tempered glass.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 PM

newbie2 is on a distinguished road

go to bulk reef supply tv online. They have a pretty good demo on youtube on how to drill a tank. Made it look pretty simple.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default drilling tank

just make sure when you drill that you go slowly and let the weight of the drill be the only pressure on the tank.when i drilled my 220 it took about 1/2 hour-40 min.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:47 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Set the clutch on your drill. This will eliminate cracking from torque. Also slowly rock bit as not to drill level
Old 03-18-2012, 03:09 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Make sure the glass ins't tempered, use a set of polarized glasses (fishing glasses) to see if it is.

slow and steady, with water for lubrication. Doest hurt having some wood clamped on the other side to reduce chipping also.

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 AM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

Just drilled over 20 holes in my tank and sump without issue, you get a feel for it. I used the diamond bits available at Princess Auto for not a lot of money and they worked fine. They are only good for 10 or so holes each before they were worn.

I have a nice Dewalt cordless drill but it has built a lot of things over the years and I noticed it wasn't true enough to use on the glass. I just bought a $20 corded drill at PA to use because new meant it was straight.

I also found that having a wooden jig with the same size hole as the glass hole saw was the easiest way to start a hole and that plumbers putty worked well as a damn for the cooling/lubricating water.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

I used a piece of plywood that has the same diamter hole in it to start the glass bit without sliding I kept a hose running and make sure you put a towel or something inside to stop the glass that grts cut out from falling and cracking the other side of tank
Go slowly a hole should take a full 5 minutes easy

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 AM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road
Default 2 Things I've learned.

First -- take a small bit of plexi and drill it first and use it as a guide. I tried plywood, but I found it much nicer to still see what I'm doing. Clamp the guide in place and the bit won't "jump" all over the place.

The other is to make sure you have something stiff (2x6, thick plywood) on the other side of the glass. This will reduce crazing when it gets really thin on the other side.

I'm lucky and have access to a custom glass guy. When he drills thick glass, he has a double drill press that drills from both sides at the same time, which gives near perfect holes. I just wish I had a way to line things up that well.

Oh, and take your time. I usually am holding some of the weight of my drll up near the end of a hole, as the slower you go at the end, the less crazing around the other side of the hole.