Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 12-10-2016, 07:44 PM

element291 is on a distinguished road
Default Camera for shooting reef with high UV

Hi guys I know nothing about photography I have Googled about which cameras would be good for getting colour of corals through my hydras high uv lighting.

I found everything to be from 4 years + old relating to models.
Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for something thats not super crazy with features as I will only be using the camera for my tank nothing else.

I have a go pro and many phones but with the UV I get horrible colours on my photos and can't show the true beauty of the brightness/range of colours.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:15 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Using a camera that can shoot in RAW is pretty key for me. I set the camera to RAW, manually adjust the WB on camera to be as high a K rating as possible (10,000 on my Nikon), shoot the pictures and then adjust the white balance in the computer once the images are downloaded.

You could buy a blue filter to go on the from of your lens as well. Despite the name, they are yellow in appearance and cut out the blue hue before it even makes it to the camera sensor.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Using a camera that can shoot in RAW is pretty key for me. I set the camera to RAW, manually adjust the WB on camera to be as high a K rating as possible (10,000 on my Nikon), shoot the pictures and then adjust the white balance in the computer once the images are downloaded.

You could buy a blue filter to go on the from of your lens as well. Despite the name, they are yellow in appearance and cut out the blue hue before it even makes it to the camera sensor.

Hope that helps.

Who haw in the what now lol I will have to google what RAW is, WB, K rating and how to adjust white balance. I thought I was a techie but that was all over my head. That sounds neat about the filters, does anyone has experience with these? Any photos that could be shared to show off a cameras ability would be super appreciated. Could you put a filter over a small pocket sized camera where the lens once opened up is smaller than a dime?
Old 12-12-2016, 04:39 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

A filter can simply be a gel filter, in other words a piece of tinted plastic Cut it any size you want to hold over the lens. You don't want any warping or distortion in it though, that would mess with the quality of the image.

You can find all sorts of pics with the methods I described here. Just scroll to the newest pages for updated photos.

Project Mayhem

Cheers
Old 12-12-2016, 04:41 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Cellophane should work well.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?p=978421
Old 12-14-2016, 09:00 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Check out the Olympus TG4, lots of buddies are using that camera and pics turn out very well... also waterproof with wifi capabilities so you can upload to phone.
I've seen them go for as cheap as $350 on Craigslist which is decent price for a well built camera.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-21-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Check out the Olympus TG4, lots of buddies are using that camera and pics turn out very well... also waterproof with wifi capabilities so you can upload to phone.
I've seen them go for as cheap as $350 on Craigslist which is decent price for a well built camera.
Thank you for the model recommendation, I will be checking these out!