Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-08-2013, 05:31 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road
Default Importance of Sponges in a reef..

Interesting read on recent findings regarding sea sponges article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24398394

Sponges help coral reefs thrive in ocean deserts:

The mystery of how coral reefs thrive in "ocean deserts" has been solved, scientists say.

Reefs are among Earth's most vibrant ecosystems, yet they flourish in waters lacking nutrients - a phenomenon known as Darwin's Paradox.

A team found that sponges keep the reef alive - by recycling vast amounts of organic matter to feed snails, crabs and other creatures.

Writing in Science, they hope their findings will aid conservation.

Sponges recycle nearly ten times as much matter as bacteria, and produce as much nutrition as all the corals and algae in a reef combined, the scientists calculate.

They are the "unsung heroes" of the reef community, said lead author Jasper de Goeij, an aquatic ecologist at the University of Amsterdam.

"Up until now no-one has really paid sponges much attention. They look nice, but everybody was more interested in corals and fish," he told BBC News.

The scientists tested sponges in a Caribbean reef
"But it turns out that sponges are big players - and they deserve credit for their role.

"If you want a reef which is colourful and biodiverse, you need a 'sponge loop' to maintain it."

It was during his voyage on the Beagle that Charles Darwin famously observed that tropical reefs are like oases in a desert.

They are surrounded by waters lacking nitrogen and phosphorus - the building blocks of life - which ought to prohibit their growth.

And since corals release up to half their organic matter into seawater, reefs need a system to recover these nutrients and recycle them into the ecosystem.

Bacteria do part of the job, but are not abundant enough to service the chemical dependencies of a whole teeming reef community.

Sugar daddies
Sponges (poriferans) are filter feeders which live in rock crevices, sucking up plankton and organic matter released into the sea by corals.

The idea that they could be a missing link in the reef food cycle has been proposed before.

But it was not clear how much nutrition they could supply, nor how exactly they feed their reef neighbours - worms, crustaceans and other sea floor foragers.

On the Caribbean island of Curacao, de Goeij and his team studied four common species of sponges - first in laboratory aquariums, then in a natural reef where the scientists sealed off a cavity.

Sponges are not usually the stars of conservation campaigns - but they hold reef ecosystems together
They fed the poriferans with labelled sugars - and traced these molecules on their journey.

First the sugars were absorbed from the water by the sponges, then quickly shed in dead filter cells (choanocytes) - detritus which fell to the seabed.

Within two days, the same molecules were present in snails and other creatures feeding on the sediment containing sponge waste.

These snails are in turn eaten by larger animals, and so the cycle continues.

It was not only the speed, but the sheer volume of food turnover which took the authors by surprise - about 10 times more than bacteria recycle.

The sponge Halisarca caerulea for example takes up two-thirds of its body weight in dissolved carbon each day, but it barely grows in size - because old cells are shed to the seabed.

In total, the Dutch team estimated this "sponge loop" produced nearly as many nutrients as all the primary producers (corals and algae) in an entire tropical reef.

And other marine deserts, like deep-sea cold-water coral reefs or temperate Mediterranean reefs, may also rely on poriferans to recycle their nutrients.

By recognising sponges as lynchpins - the unheralded heroes of the reef - they hope to aid conservation efforts in these fragile havens.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Good read, thanks for posting this.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:07 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Did the article mention many sponges will not thrive, or live long, in an aquarium?

There is a recent thread on this.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Did the article mention many sponges will not thrive, or live long, in an aquarium?

There is a recent thread on this.
This article is purely about coral reefs and not about the hobby:

The mystery of how coral reefs thrive in "ocean deserts" has been solved, scientists say

Alongside, there are sponges that can easily thrive and help captive environments (forgot the names; almost every matured reefs have most of them, doing an excellent job by filtering water). Its the ornamental and fancy ones that are hard to keep.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

While I take good care of my tanks, I do not do everything I need to do to maintain a low nutrient system. One thing I do though, is I add KZ Sponge power to my tank to help promote better sponge growth. When I move rock the under sides are usually covered in sponge. Because of this (and other small things) my tanks are bright and colorful, with excellent growth.
I have always heard and believed sponges to be excellent biological filters. Reading an article like this reaffirms this. Nice article.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPG007 View Post
I have always heard and believed sponges to be excellent biological filters. Reading an article like this reaffirms this. Nice article.
I completely agree. It is also for this reason that I like using live rock. Lots of hitchhiker sponges that proliferate. Granted, there's also the potential of bad hitchhikers but in my experience it has always been easier to remove bad hitchhikers than to add good hitchhikers, like sponges.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:52 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

While I'm not always a proponent of live rock, sometimes the costs are somewhat unrealistic, I am definitely a fan of varied microflora in our systems. I've always equated sponges with a healthy system and usually actively try to cultivate multiple types in my system.

KPG, do you think Sponge Power has a positive impact on your system?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

I have a lot of sponges that from somewhere, came alive over the last of year especially. I think it was probably from a dorminant state/spores that come on the liverock I got. They are black, green ( ones in the dark sump) and pinkish... I did add a couple of small pieces of blue sponge but they have not grown much at all but still alive after 2 years being bought. It really depends on what tank/its setup you have in order for sponges to come alive or keep ones you bought alive.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
KPG, do you think Sponge Power has a positive impact on your system?
While I have never done an actual test, I do see sponge everywhere in my tank (well, hidden between rocks). Much more then I believe I would see without the additive. I can occasionally go months between water changes (Ca & Alk every night though) and everything will look the same. Is this because of sponge power? I would say 'Yes' to the sponge growth, which would lead me to say 'Yes' to better water quality.

Now to be honest, it's not the only additive I use (I also use Pohl's xtra, Coral Snow, and Kaliumiodid (KZ iodine additive to bring out blue in corals)), but it's one that I always recommend.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i also have been using kz spongepower for quite some time , i have a whack load of sponges of all colors.

does the sponge power account for this....not 100% sure but im not seeing any bad results from using it so i continue to do so.

i also use amino acids,coral vitalizer and pohls extra

sps and zoanthid grow systems , fully loaded.

dosing cal and alk