Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

tank.. is slowly turning around.

running MH now just because

bleached some corals with said mh.

corals that did not bleach are growing and getting better color slowly

I was planning on getting a second lumenarc 2 reflector and good bulb for the new build, but unless something falls in my lap its only a little bit more to trial that new Rapid led light on the current settup, since for that price it seems so much easier than full diy which was my other option for the new build. I am planning no holds barred on it but also not putting a timeline on it so really how hard is it to spend 300$ to try out something when i have spent XXXhundred on junk and livestock that has been killed over the last few years.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:27 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Pics? :-)

So the switch over to MH was just a whim then?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 AM

Pics, bah my tank is a mess of barely alive but recovering sps frags/mini colonies with rock covered in apistasia. When I was thinking of a new build i thought i would "cheap" out on mh for a while, really I have been keeping my eyes for used lumenarc 2 reflectors for a while, when one came up at the right price i got it. I need another or some led's by the time the new tank comes up. its amazing how much more light gets into the tank from lumenarc/pheonix/magnetic ballast than with the 250w DE cheapo fixture or the t5ho unit thats now on my low maintenance tank. Also i was not digging the t-5 look, though I could use some t5 or led actinic to extend viewing hours. The lumenarc also throws more of a square which does not evenly light up my 36x18 tank right now.
the pheonix in the fixture supposedly has 6 months on it so i figured get everything growing again then try radium out again once corals aclimate to having proper light.

honestly I am just trying to get everything cleaned up and growing so it looks good when it goes into the new tank.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 AM

ok.. impending doom upon the fishtanks as stated a few months back.

my sps tank is slowly turning around. progress on new build is barely crawling along. low maintnance tank keeps getting forgotten about.

Playing with a few short term options.

Shutdown the upstairs tank, sell off what ever coral won't fit in the downstairs tank, sell or cook the rock. use any proffits towards new build.

move upstairs tank to the basement, drill a couple holes into it and tie it into the sps system, either the way it is or as a large LRR. thus adding a crapload of nutrients to the sps system, but who knows that might help things at this point.

hoping i wont have to renovate the house and sell it in a few months but that is not out of the picture yet either, hopfully if i have to move i will have the new build done for the new place.

on top of all that i REALLY need to get a controller and an automated feeder, in case i have to start going on the road again just to keep things sane around the house for the time being.... end of rant

ideas anyone ? buy a couple tangs for the upstairs tank to clean off all the lps and zoas then move all of them on? mostly HA a little other stuff

Last edited by blacknife; 03-01-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 PM

90% done the transfer, Crammed all the rock into the sump, the 20gLRR and the stuff with corals on it into the DT. still need to transfer some frag sized corals, move the fish and other critters, and sell off/trade/give away some oddballs.

I woke up today minus my male maroon clown that has been around since the start, he was fine last night i assume he jumped and got nibbled, also while moving all the rock i saw none of my shrimp, last week i still had 2 peppermints and 2 fire shrimp. hopefully they are still there somewhere.

all the zoa's opened up under the Phoenix right away so i guess they did not get shocked to much by the move, if they start shrinking from ulns instead of growing i will have to re home them. At least for now they can be cleaned up by team algae munch.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 AM

I think it would be safe to start shutting this tank down.
Livestock only at this point. If you see anything that interests you pm an offer. I will post individual items for sale when I have time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1373246271598.jpg (44.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-01-2014, 06:30 AM

Tank has been unattended since august. Finnaly saw it today. Agter getting the kids to bed and shovelling the walks I figured I could see what is up. Reffugeium had 0 flow to it but this looks to be recent as the water is still high. Skimmer pooched and microbubbling, now cleaned removed one destroyed cerith shell still needed new impeller. Return pump, drasticaly reduced flow, no time to clean that today but I think its slowly getting pooched.

Remaining fish scopas tang and a few cardinals.
Most sps gone..
Most lps.. gone my acans apparently were launching out of their sceletons at some ponint at least there are a few scattered survivors..
Zoas and palys.. some colonys totaly disapeared, a few thriving

Xenia.. monstor sized. Grew up through a few of my sps choking them out..

Hydroids.. a few new patches on rocks they were not on..

Random pest anenemies.. only one huge apastasia in the refugeium..many ..manajoes in the display and a few of those mini bubletip bastards left too but they look scungy not nice like they used to.

Pulled the zeo reactor out since.. there is no point.. then knocked my automatic fish feeder in dumping all the food In...

Hoping the water for a waterchange will finish mixxing before she comes home and I am done here.

Oh well it was nice while it lasted..

Think I am going to try to keep it in this state untill I can set up the next tank. Next build or even the fixing of this one will be lower maintnance.. try to avoid getting the sps bug and hopefully set up to survive up to 6 week shifts...

The 7 foot is parked, I might still use it and the glass for the 105 is still sitting outside in the snow against the stand for the 7 foot, guess I will hoard that for future use too since it never got picked up.

Happy new year!

Last edited by blacknife; 01-01-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Sucks to come home to this
Sounds like it's time for you to bail out until you have more time to keep your critters happy and alive

Happy New Year !
Old 01-01-2014, 06:41 AM

Separated with no contact order changed in the last few days.. I would have sold the tank months ago if life was that easy.

Now there is not much woth selling.

Last edited by blacknife; 01-01-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:53 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknife View Post
Separated with no contact order changed in the last few days.. I would have sold the tank months ago if life was that easy.

Now there is not much woth selling.
Frig. Sorry to hear about that

Don't worry about selling stuff if you can afford to hang onto it
Focus on what you can keep in boxes for later and make a comeback when you can

Well, things can only go uphill (positive) for you from here
If I were close enough you'd have some help with the bulky stuff

Sorry to hear you're starting the New Year this way, but I gotta tell ya ...

I've been through a couple New Years, and each one is better than the last

Alright, I lied
That's the crap my GrandPa tried to feed me when I was 5
Honestly, it only gets better when you are happy, and you are only happy when it's better

Chin up dude, it gets better Really

Last edited by gregzz4; 01-01-2014 at 07:56 AM.