Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
mine comes in thursday
Sweet! It seems cheap that I had the whole thing in 48 hours form Indiana USA to Langley for $108.00 u.s. + 67.00 Brokerage.......

Also, these things are not light! I may have to run to Home Depot to get the proper ceiling bolts in order to suspend the thing!~
Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Aren't they something like 60 lbs ? I'm guessing mine is around 50lbs. Scary stuff. I would never trust anything but screws into the ceiling joists. Let's see this badboy!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by This year i am replacing actinics with Fiji Purple's if anyone is wondering ask me later [B
how SPS will do wthout actinics[/b].
Current bulb config is :
Two KZ 10K's
Two KZ 14K's
Two Fiji Purples.

Sorry about highjack,
i think ATI is a great T5 fixture. It just was just a bit much to see a bill of $165 for 6 new T5 tubes LOL.
I was looking at getting a couple of Fiji Purples for my fixture but was unsure of what bulbs to exchange it with. I'm interested to see if I can swap out my actinics for Fiji Purples. I normally have my actinics come on before and after my 10,000K bulbs are you planning on doing the same with the Fiji bulbs?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:28 AM

iansfishy is on a distinguished road

so what was the savings getting it from the states rather then say progressive reef or somewhere like that? Just asking cause Ive been thinking about the same unit for a while now.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansfishy View Post
so what was the savings getting it from the states rather then say progressive reef or somewhere like that? Just asking cause Ive been thinking about the same unit for a while now.
I saved about $250 getting everything from the states.... I do have a wholesale account so I am sure it probably wouldn't make a difference for most people to do what I did.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Aren't they something like 60 lbs ? I'm guessing mine is around 50lbs. Scary stuff. I would never trust anything but screws into the ceiling joists. Let's see this badboy!
My ceiling directly above the tank is a drop ceiling to contain heating ducts, I will not be able to screw into ceiling joists so I may have to be creative, I would say it weighs about 50+ pounds.....

Here is the box the unit came in~! Heavy! I am not the only one interested in what is inside! lol!

The packaging is actually top notch!

Almost unwrapped here! This thing is built like a tank!

The build quality is very impressive, These fans are nearly completely silent when I tested them! There is one fan per two bulbs. The air is drawn in through the fans and there are exhaust ports on the opposite end of each separate reflector channel.

Another picture completely unwrapped.

Here is the underside before I removed the plexi protective backing.

Peeling back the protective plastic, everything is well designed.

Here is a snapshot of the reflectors --- 10 X 54W individual reflectors, I can see why these reflectors are supposedly unmatched in the T5 world.

Here is how my bulbs arrived, I could only ship 6 bulbs per package so the other 4 bulbs are going to have to be purchased here before I can get the bad boy working and installed!

That's all for now, I will update more later when I get the last 4 bulbs this Sunday.

2 X Fiji Purple
1 X UVL True actinic
1 X UVL 75/25

Last edited by Oceanic; 11-04-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I was looking at getting a couple of Fiji Purples for my fixture but was unsure of what bulbs to exchange it with. I'm interested to see if I can swap out my actinics for Fiji Purples. I normally have my actinics come on before and after my 10,000K bulbs are you planning on doing the same with the Fiji bulbs?
The Fiji bulbs do amazing things to greens and reds, I actually find that certain Corals I have really improved with the addition of red spectrum light that the Fiji produces. I highly suggest using them. I will only be using one actinic in the whole 10 bulb bank.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Here is a good little page for those that want to hang heavy objects from the ceiling using toggle or butterfly bolts.....

Here is a little excerpt from the link...........

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...infanchor.html

Toggle bolts are the Cadillac (or Lexus, if you prefer) of hollow-wall anchors. They consist of two parts... the toggle itself (which looks like a pair of spring-loaded metal wings) and the accompanying machine screw. Toggle bolts are sized in two ways... by the diameter of the machine screw and by the length of the machine screw. The larger the screw diameter, the larger and stronger the toggle. The longer the screw, the thicker the material that can be hung or the thicker the wall it can be used in!

Toggles are massively strong. A "puny" 1/8" toggle can safely hold 50 lbs on 1/2" drywall... a 3/8" toggle over 100 lbs! Two or three 3/8" toggles can easily hold up most kitchen cabinets on solid 1/2" drywall. That is, as long as the wall is strong enough!

Toggles are the toggle of choice for hanging most anything from ceilings, too, such as hanging plants, mobiles, etc. The major exceptions would be "dynamic" objects such as ceiling fans, which require attachment to structural members. Also, though excessive weight may not break a large toggle through the ceiling, the ceiling itself may pull away from the joists!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
The Fiji bulbs do amazing things to greens and reds, I actually find that certain Corals I have really improved with the addition of red spectrum light that the Fiji produces. I highly suggest using them. I will only be using one actinic in the whole 10 bulb bank.
I have an 8-bulb fixture with 4 actinics and 4 10,000K's so I think I'll switch out 2 actinics for fiji purples. Good to know they really bring out the greens since most of my corals are various shades of green.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I have an 8-bulb fixture with 4 actinics and 4 10,000K's so I think I'll switch out 2 actinics for fiji purples. Good to know they really bring out the greens since most of my corals are various shades of green.
If I were you I would also switch out the 10k's too? Here is a really nice setup with an eight bulb fixture if you cannot get ATI bulbs...

from front to back;

KZ Coral light
UVL Actinic
KZ Fiji Purple
KZ Coral Light
KZ Coral Light
KZ Fiji Purple
UVL 75/25
KZ Coral Light