Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-20-2019, 07:05 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Glad everyone is OK. Sucks about the tank though.

I’d reuse everything you have. Clean all the equipment, keep cooking the rock until time permits a tank reboot. Wear gloves when working on the tank in the near future.

I wonder how persistent palytoxin is? Heading to google, I’ll post any answers I find.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:07 PM

Sasq40 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I've been googling it and can't find much for answers, public health said destroy everything but it's not like they're experts in this field. They had never even heard of it I just read a few articles about it at one point.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Public health are just covering their ass.

Give all the hardware a good soak and cleaning in vinegar. Bathe the rocks in bleach, give them a good rinse and then start cooking them for the rebuild. In the meantime, monitor your families health, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get an air quality test done inside your new house.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Public health are just covering their ass.

Give all the hardware a good soak and cleaning in vinegar. Bathe the rocks in bleach, give them a good rinse and then start cooking them for the rebuild. In the meantime, monitor your families health, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get an air quality test done inside your new house.
Yeah I would assume as far as they're concerned the tank is a biohazard. Do I just rinse the rocks with a house and dump them in a bleach mixture then? Will this kill the toxin? What about freezing all the rocks then taking a pressure washer to it? As well as the bleach? What's the best way to clean the tank. Yesterday I filled it up and ran some vinegar in it then ran my pumps, drained the whole thing and added more water to hold back any smells

Old 01-20-2019, 07:36 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

here was the cbc.ca news on a family with similar plight:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...mily-1.4633810

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ison-1.4635311

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...anup-1.4640303
Old 01-20-2019, 07:44 PM

Very different then what we were told by the hospital in Alberta. They just said air it out and remove the tank

Old 01-20-2019, 07:49 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Here is what I’ve found on destroying the toxin, it’s not much

. It is heat-stable, not inactivated by boiling, and is stable in neutral aqueous solutions for prolonged periods, however a rapid decomposition occurs under acid or alkaline conditions, leading to loss of its toxicity [2].

From page 3 of this article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...1/#!po=6.94444, I’ll grab the footnote info too.

Katikou P. Chemistry of Palytoxins and Ostreocins. In: Botana LM, editor. Phycotoxins, Chemistry and Biochemistry. Blackwell Publishing; Ames, IA, USA: 2007. pp. 75–93.

I’m guessing the shop vac sent it airborne and everyone was exposed. It appears that the alkalinity in our tanks helps keep the toxin in check. It’s actually scary stuff. I’ve read lots of documented cases where pouring boiling water on palys has created problems for everyone in the vicinity.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:51 PM

Default Just got polytoxin posioning. Public health says toss everything g

Yeah I've read alot of those articles. The father inlaw has a big ozone generator, maybe just bladtoc that will help
Old 01-21-2019, 07:40 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I too have suffered from palytoxin poison. Been put in hospital for a few days than had to use a puffer afterwards for 2 weeks. This was caused by trying to scrape off palys in the kitchen sink whilst running hot water on them. Than another time I was once again scraping them off a rock and got squirted in the eye which caused a chemical burn to my cornea.
Palys are extremely dangerous and the medical staff in my town had no clue what it was and I had to inform them both times of what I had.
But to tell you to throw everything out is ludacris. Whst your doin with vinegar for your equipment is fine.
It took my years to finally get the palys off my rocks.
Since your tank is pretty much toast I suggest you put the rocks in a well ventilated area or outside in a large container of water and throw in a gallon of muriatic acid and let it sit for a couple of weeks. It's only way i got rid of my palys. You can get muriatic acid at a hardware store. The big ones don't seem to carry it anymore. Just remember to have the water first. The fumes are pretty strong so be careful. Good luck. No plays!!! They're bad!!

Last edited by Madreefer; 01-21-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-21-2019, 08:11 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Wow, that's some scary news. I didn't know heat doesn't do anything to it. Good to learn that acidic and alkaline baths will cause it to denature. Good luck buddy.

Anthony