Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-20-2018, 08:16 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default Wildfire ash

Where I live (Prince George) it is not uncommon to get a few days each summer of wildfire smoke but last summer and this summer it has been different with heavy concentrations of ash that has fallen by some accounts around 3-6mm of ash has fallen this summer so far.

This morning I spent better part of 2 hrs cleaning out the LED lights due to the ash buildup in the heads and my skimmer has been working overtime pulling copious amounts of ash from the water column

Two questions
1) Will ash have any major adverse effect on my fish/coral/inverts as there has been so much ash lately that they think its fish food? They have been pecking at it every time it lands in the tank

2) Any ash that is in my tank and has settled will it be beneficial or harmful to my inhabitants?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated
Old 08-21-2018, 06:05 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Weird. I live in PG as well. I havent seen 2-3mm of ash fall in my parts of town or anywhere else. Must be strictly your neighborhood. Sure it's hard to breathe with the smoke. And nope no ash coming in to my house and getting in to my tank for fish to peck at. Skimmer all good as well. My suggestion is to maybe close your windows. But hmmm my windows and patio doors open. Hope I dont have to start my snowblower up to clear ash off my driveway
Old 08-21-2018, 07:20 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

The day the sky went dark it rained down at least a millimetre of ash in under twenty minutes it was like it was snowing out and I have a fine layer of ash everywhere in the house. The bowl also got hit harder than college heights and the Hart with smoke and ash...fun and joy all around