Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-20-2017, 05:07 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road
Default The Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Thread

Well might as well start this thread for others to share their success/failures etc in regards to Vibrant. The good the bad AND the ugly.

Example photos taken from product website...

Keep in mind, not all that has been said about this product has been positive. As some algaes die, other algaes may pop up. Some have experienced diatom blooms/cyano and other issues and have stopped dosing. You can read the R2R discussion thread about this for more info. Post #1 in partucular if you'd like some background on the product. You must keep up with routine tank maintenance like water changes, filter cleaning etc.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Didnt see this thread started...
I'll start with a review week 1

I don't have any pics to share but will post my experience on here... I ordered some off eBay as I read some of the reviews and thought I would give it a try. I had high phosphates readings on my ULR @.24 last week. My mg reading is immeasurable with salifert or Elos which I predict is at about 1600 plus, still had bryopsis in my sump and bubble algae was starting to infest my rock, if this said magic potion can rid some pest algae then what's $50 to the cause...
I did a 3ml dose the first day to see if there were adverse effects on my sps and Lps, none. Second day I drizzled some in my sump and display around 10ml, this time I think I overdid it. Soft corals like Ricordea sand yumas were ****ed, other Lps like brains and blastos also closed abit. Didn't pay much attention to the tank for the next few days. Monday tested the phosphates and it was down to .1, bubble algae had reduced to 40% less, the bryopsis was still there but looking thin. Hair algae on 1 small rock had melted, I did start a small portion of Rowaphos to help reduce phosphates further. Nitrates are undetectable and also performed a 30% wc before dosing Vibrant.
I believe this stuff works on nuisance algaes and will continue weekly doses but will do 5ml per week on my 100g system.
Also the very next day after dosing I noticed my water clear right up!
I will update in another week

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-20-2017, 08:36 PM

I would stay away from "drizzling" this product into your tank lol. Instructions say 1ml per 10 gallons which ain't much! Do you remember what days you dosed Chris? Like 3ml Friday, 10ml'ish Saturday? I'm surprised it has an effect on your bubble algae and bryopsis already. From what I've read this stuff should be used from twice per week, up to once every 2 weeks depending on algae type or amount.

Keep us posted

I'll be taking photos every night at the same time and will compile some images after about a week.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:20 PM

Here's a general guideline regarding target algae from R2R for sake of quicker reference....

"What algae strains does Vibrant rid and how fast does it work?

Vibrant is a true beast and we have not yet come across a algae that Vibrant can not beat out. Below I will list a general timeline of how fast Vibrant works on frequent algae strains that cause issues in reef aquariums.

Cloudy/hazy Water- 1 dose
Diatoms - 1-2 doses
Cyanobacteria - (Yes, it will outcompete another bacteria) 1-5 doses
Dinoflagellates - 2-5 doses
Bubble algae - 3-8 doses
Hair Algae - 3-5 doses (depending on species of hair and how bad the infestation is)
Turf Algae - 8-20 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)
Bryopsis - 6-30 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)"
Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 PM

kyl is on a distinguished road

I've been using this since December 11th in both my 10g & 20g IM nanos due to problems with bubble algae in the 20 and a nasty dinoflagellates outbreak that was occurring on every surface / coral in both tanks. I have been dosing 1.5x the amount instructed per week (as per conversation with the owner) to get the dinos under control, and so far it has worked in both tanks to varying degrees. The other affect of this has been a large reduction in the need to clean the glass. It used to be almost daily before, now once every 4-5 days.

My 20 has no bubbly-snot anywhere, the sand is I would say 80-90% clean every day and the bubble algae is down to a few singular pieces which are very fragile. Previously it would be covered and look like a snot-wasteland when I got home from work. The bubble algae was also spreading all over, more than the emerald crab could take care of. As of today I would consider the product a big success in that tank, and it is the only change I have done outside of normal water/carbon/gfo changes and 2-part dosing. This tank would get a 9/10 rating for how dramatic the change has been.

In my 10 which is now a bare bottom frag tank, the dinos receded rather quickly but gave way to GHA. I then had GHA growing everywhere very fast, but kept with the vibrant usage. GHA had gotten so weak that it was easily pulled off, now fully gone and the only thing left are a few spots of dinos still sticking around. The main distinction from this tank is no fish, sand bed and a minuscule pod population vs the 20. They get the same lighting, skimming and filtering in terms of equipment. On this tank I'll give it a 7/10 for clearing up most of the issues.

I had read the 150?+ page thread on reef2reef extensively, along with other direct hobbyist feedback from nano-reef.com before using it. Is it snake oil? I would say not, but what works for one may not work for the other. I've tried some of the commercial products that people have success with and have gotten poor results, but I attribute that to tanks are all over the place and no two are identical, so neither will results of some things.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
I would stay away from "drizzling" this product into your tank lol. Instructions say 1ml per 10 gallons which ain't much! Do you remember what days you dosed Chris? Like 3ml Friday, 10ml'ish Saturday? I'm surprised it has an effect on your bubble algae and bryopsis already. From what I've read this stuff should be used from twice per week, up to once every 2 weeks depending on algae type or amount.

Keep us posted

I'll be taking photos every night at the same time and will compile some images after about a week.
Lazy mans pour Bryan, call it liquid courage....

I dosed 3ml Thursday night and then drizzled some into tank and sump like about 10-15ml more like a drip drip drip not squirt*friday

Haven't dosed any since because I was monitoring the corals, I can say that few days after like 6 days to be exact the corals are back to normal. Glass has a green film on it only after 1 week and 40% of bubble algae is gone... almost in disbelief from 1 dose. I got my doser yesterday so will hook it up tonight and start with 1 ml per day instead of suggested dose of 10ml per week. I think in small doses the corals will not even notice and stress.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips

Last edited by tang daddy; 01-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:44 AM

rzadun is on a distinguished road
Default vibrant aquarium cleaner liquid

got my bottle today, Friday 20th. added 1mL per 10 gallons. Will see how well it works.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:37 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

What is it >? Peroxide?
Old 01-21-2017, 07:19 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Is this similar to Foz Down?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:38 PM

rzadun is on a distinguished road
Default vibrant aquarium cleaner liquid

It says 95% cultured bacterial blend, 1% amino acids, 0.5 % vinegar and 3.5% other ingredients.