Never was?
Oh lol my bad.

Setup looks great!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 01-22-2018, 03:56 AM

st0rmtr000pa is on a distinguished road
Default Update

Just thought I'd do a small update considering it's been awhile since I've posted one.

So the main display was picked up today. I feel really bad for the guy who bought it as it was cracked while loading it in the back of their truck. It sounds like it may not be as bad as first expected. With the tank gone I managed to flip my stand the right way up lol. It feels so empty now that the tank is gone! I spoke with Dave at Concept today and he said the new tank should be ready to ship by Thursday or Friday. I still haven't heard back from the sump builder and it sure has taken a long time to get this sump! It's been well over a month.

I have also added a QT Tank to my living room. I figured I'd get some fish once it is cycled to start treatment and hopefully my tank will be up and running by the time they are ready to be put in. It's a 40 gallon breeder. It's not the biggest tank but it will get the job done. I painted the back black. I'm using 1 Ai Sol Blue for the light. I decided to go with the Seachem Tidal 75 for the Hang On Filter as it does surface skimming which I thought was a pretty cool feature for a HOB Filter and also has a Sicce pump!

Old 01-23-2018, 10:05 PM

Default Update

So today I went and picked up a 100 pounds of Dry Macro Rock from J&L. I decided to go the dry rock route because I don't want to deal with any pests or bad types of algae. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with this rock? I've heard good and bad so far. I hear they can leach phosphates? But others claim that it doesn't? I thought I may also have to pick up more than a 100 pounds but I took it all out of the boxes and it look like more than enough. Now I am going to through it in a garbage can for at least a month and let it cycle. Anyone know where to get Prodibio?

Old 01-23-2018, 10:23 PM

kyl is on a distinguished road

I've used it on all my tanks, and my shallow 60 as of three days ago. I like it, easy to cement together (hydraulic cement, e-marco etc), and you don't really have to do much more than rinse and dip it in RO for an hour or so to get most of the dust out/off. I haven't noticed PO4 spiking months later, there really isn't much of any dead organic material to break down (unlike pukani) as it's a quarried material.

If you want to break the pieces down a hammer and chisel will be pretty easy, and it usually breaks off with a lot of character left in the rock, rather than just a sliced section. You can also cut it with a wet tile saw to get a flat, stable bottom for the glass if that matters.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyl View Post
I've used it on all my tanks, and my shallow 60 as of three days ago. I like it, easy to cement together (hydraulic cement, e-marco etc), and you don't really have to do much more than rinse and dip it in RO for an hour or so to get most of the dust out/off. I haven't noticed PO4 spiking months later, there really isn't much of any dead organic material to break down (unlike pukani) as it's a quarried material.

If you want to break the pieces down a hammer and chisel will be pretty easy, and it usually breaks off with a lot of character left in the rock, rather than just a sliced section. You can also cut it with a wet tile saw to get a flat, stable bottom for the glass if that matters.
That’s great to know thanks Kyl! I think the rock looks much better than live rock myself. Plus it seems much easier to scape and you have much better outcomes. I’m just going to cycle mine for a month in a garbage can and hopefully that prevents and phosphate leaching if there is even any to begin with. What type of setups are you running with the rock? Pictures?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:35 AM

Far from an expert, and don't want to hijack but here's the new shallow 60g I got built. Just moved the two original halves I had in a IM fusion 20 nano tank into it tonight. The left section from the nano I did up with just superglue when I started in the hobby, but the rest was with hydraulic cement that I got from Eli in Calgary before he packed up shop.

Dry: https://flic.kr/p/23weLNy
Wet: https://flic.kr/p/JN2fSk
Nano original: https://flic.kr/p/E5TgVK

The next is in a 65g Aqueon with that curved internal overflow.
Wet but new: https://flic.kr/p/S2V81e wanted a high wall look
After a year or so: https://flic.kr/p/YXzXUo multiple tank issues, never did get much coral in it with two fallow periods in a year, then some nasty cyano when I started using AF reef salt last fall.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:49 AM

Default Rocks

Well your tanks look awesome! I love the look of it covered in Coraline as well. Ya I keep hearing the same thing about the AF Salt. How are you liking your gyres?
Old 01-25-2018, 02:10 AM

150 gen1 - went through two motor housings, one gen1 controller and one set of paddles, all RMA replaced. Happy with it overall, not impressed that it cost so much to get apex connected.

230's - getting quieter now that they've slimed up a bit, more powerful than I thought they would be. Running on the new maxspect controller, which itself is nice, but I don't really like how confusing it seems to be to program and would rather they be 0-10v via Apex. I am not paying almost $400 to do that though.

Last edited by kyl; 01-25-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:28 PM

dave_C is on a distinguished road
Default an update for you

sorry run into a small delay waiting for the acrylic to come back but here is a few pic's to hold you over lol