Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-05-2004, 10:49 PM

incoma is on a distinguished road
Default www.glofish.com

I seen these at riverfront but they had a seized by the CEPA. what's the cepa and did they get seized? I was not interested in getting any I just never seen fish seixed at a store before.Also does anyone have info on Fraser Aquarium in Vancouver. They carry the other glow fish from http://www.azoo.com.tw/. Oh well I'm going to go look for some more puffer fish.

I found CEPA=Canadian Environmental Protection Act
Hmm the FDA says there fine
Old 02-05-2004, 11:06 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

CEPA is http://www.ec.gc.ca/CEPARegistry/, apparently, as you found. I think it's great that they're involved. I think the suspected harm is that they would escape into the environment and reproduce, which is bad obviously. I believe that the Taiwanese company making these fish sterilizes their animals but whether this is bulletproof is questionable (although I'm sure they hope it is, because have sterile animals allows them to conserve their patent).

The FDA is American and I believe in Canada that type of stuff falls into the lap of Health Canada-Sante Canada. Also because these fish are neither what you want in your sushi nor something you can smoke, I don't think HCSC is interested in them. Strictly an Environment Canada thing as far as I can tell.

Interesting, regardless.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 02-06-2004, 01:51 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I think they are cool, I would buy some of the fresh water ones for my tank. but they enviormental side is worried that what if they are not sterrial and what if they get into our water systems.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:58 AM

incoma is on a distinguished road

Apperently the one from Taiwan are sterile, the glofish brand are not there story is that if they get loose they will die because they are a tropical fish. ie: How many plain zebra danios do you see in the lakes of North America?
Old 02-06-2004, 02:42 AM

If they got yanked from the store, that would be why. There was some fish in the eastern US that was causing problems because it was able to walk from pond to pond, eating all the local fish as it went. I can't find anything on it now, I thought it was a snakehead or something. Anyways that's why they're concerned. Selling a GM fish that's not sterilized isn't smart.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 02-06-2004, 02:55 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...infosheet.html

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 02-06-2004, 03:04 AM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

After conversations with EC, what I was told was that genitically modified animals are not permitted to be imported into Canada. The issue is not escapability and the fish wreaking havoc in our waters (not that it would happen) but just the GM fish themselves.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:10 AM

That's interesting. I'd like to see the laws on that, considering the amount of GM vegetable matter being imported these days. I don't think it's a bad thing for foods to be GM, but no need to modify pets so more kids can being them in scuzzy water and flush 'em down toilets when they die.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:04 AM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

That's the rational I tried using last Thursday when Can Customs wanted to inspect a shipment that contained zebra danios. The issue is not with GM food, but GM animals. I guess their is the whole ethical issues when it comes to animal matter.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:07 AM

Namscam is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Namscam Send a message via MSN to Namscam Send a message via Yahoo to Namscam

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcreep
After conversations with EC, what I was told was that genitically modified animals are not permitted to be imported into Canada. The issue is not escapability and the fish wreaking havoc in our waters (not that it would happen) but just the GM fish themselves.

ARe u sure that this is true because a week or two ago King Eds had Genetically modified or some might call it genetically enhanced glofish that they were selling. Cathy at King Eds was bragging about how they got GM glofish although she can bearly pronounce it right.