Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-03-2019, 02:17 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road
Default Tank got out of level

Last night before going to bed I got a scare, I noticed the water level at the front of the tank appeared high. I got out my level and checked and sure enough it was out of level by over a 1/4" from front to back.

I had dreams all night long of my tank falling over.

When I installed the tank I calculated that the tank full of water would be close to 900lbs. I was a little concerned because where I was installing it was close to a stair case that prevented all the floor joists below from traveling unobstructed from support wall to support wall. When I set up the tank I purchased a jack post to put under the tank from the basement (concrete floor) to support the joist. The joists run parallel to the tank so in reality there is only 1 joist (2x10) that would be under the back half of the tank. The next joist behind the tank is a continuous wall to wall double joist that supports the Kitchen wall so it was solid. After putting in the jack post I used a concrete leveler product to level my floor where the tank is. Old house quite unlevel. The tank was perfectly level and remained that way for the first 3 years.

Went to Home Depot today and put in another Jack Post on the joist that is in front of the tank and jacked it up until the tank was level. Close call, you never know, last thing I want is 90 gallons of saltwater flowing through my living room hardwood floor and draining into the basement.

Moral of the story keep and eye on your tank level and don't assume that your floor joists can support it for a long time.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:37 AM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road
Default well at least you know...

well on the good side of things...at least you know that you have drainage
Old 04-03-2019, 03:42 AM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road

All kidding aside, I was looking at doing something similar. Putting a 100 gallon tank upstairs using a very similar flooring setup you have. After looking closely at the setup and calling a friend who is a structural engineer, he opted on the side of caution and recommended that I do not do it. My tanks are all downstairs...on the concrete slab. Feeling really good about that!