Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-19-2007, 12:05 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road
Default Generator backup

Do I need to purchase an inverter-type generator to run pumps and heaters...or will a cheapo, never-connect-anything-electronic type generator work fine?

Who has backup generators? What model is it? Has it been tested running the aquarium?
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 10-19-2007, 12:40 AM

Gordon H is on a distinguished road
Default Generator

Hey Brad,

I am just in the process of installing an emergency generator for our house, which has a dedicted circuit for the tank. It is a Generac 10kW Air-Cooled Home Standby Emergency Generator. It is likely complete overkill for the tank, but we have a number of power outages every year, so I was willing to put one in that was going to last a while and be good for Disaster planning. I expect it to be up and running some time in the next month or two. They have installed all the electrical and are just waiting for the concrete pad on which it will sit to be poured.

http://www.generac.com/Products/Resi...oled/10KW.aspx
Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

See no reason to get a fancy generator.

I got a little 800W unit from Princess Auto for camping (seen them today for $133) and just so I not talking out my a$$, just finished running a Iwaki70 I have for a return pump, a 200W heater and a 28W PC for ~1/2hour. Had the generator outside, run a 75' extension cord back to the basement. The voltage and freq a little off (130v, 61Hz) but everything ran. Wife didn't even notice nor were the neighbours banging on my door.

Really believe that if the generator is for a emergency situation, don't need to be running the Ca reactor and your moon lights. In my case, I've got the heater and would think enough flow and aeration with the return pump only.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 AM

MikeP is on a distinguished road

Following along on this Untamed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post

I got a little 800W unit from Princess Auto for camping (seen them today for $133) and just so I not talking out my a$$, just finished running a Iwaki70 I have for a return pump, a 200W heater and a 28W PC for ~1/2hour. Had the generator outside, run a 75' extension cord back to the basement. The voltage and freq a little off (130v, 61Hz) but everything ran. Wife didn't even notice nor were the neighbours banging on my door.

Really believe that if the generator is for a emergency situation, don't need to be running the Ca reactor and your moon lights. In my case, I've got the heater and would think enough flow and aeration with the return pump only.
Mark what is the model number of your generator. I can't remember the last time we had a power outage that lasted more than a minute but for that price and emergency use only I would feel a lot better if I had a little generator like that ready to go just in case.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Hi Brad

I have the same generator (950 watts) that Princess Auto sells and as a test I have run it for about an hour running my ampmaster (143 watts) a heater (250 watts) with no problems. As a precaution I used a surge protector to attach my equipment. A friend of mine is an electrician and he tells me that running most of our aquarium equipment will be no problem. He also said not to attach more watts than the generator can handle. I think I would think twice about hooking my big screen TV to it, but my fridge and freezer might get an hour here and their.

Tom R

Last edited by Tom R; 10-19-2007 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:10 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I picked up an 800watt generator from crappy tire this spring that puts out a true sine wave. Modified Sine waves and step waves are NOT suitable for running things like motors or lights. I think this one was only $400.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:19 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
Following along on this Untamed.
Mark what is the model number of your generator. I can't remember the last time we had a power outage that lasted more than a minute but for that price and emergency use only I would feel a lot better if I had a little generator like that ready to go just in case.
http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm...LE%20GENERATOR
Old 10-19-2007, 04:43 AM

MikeP is on a distinguished road

Sweet, thanks.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:08 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post

Thanks, that is really good feedback. That's along the lines that I was thinking and I wanted to hear of some first hand experience to ensure that the power provided by these things didn't destroy pumps and heaters.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 10-19-2007, 04:22 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

hey Mark, so those generator's from princess auto really aren't that loud huh? this may be a silly question but how's the build quality on those?