Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-16-2010, 08:56 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road
Default MitchM tank build

I received back the CAD drawing for it today.
Hopefully it will be here in about 6 weeks.
Acrylic tank size is 96L X 48W X 30H. 600 gallons.

Circulation planned is to use 4 1" SeaSwirls in each corner (holes in brace predrilled) powered by a couple of ReefFlo pumps on closed loops (intakes are 4 holes along bottom of back wall) The idea with the SeaSwirls is to keep the top water zone moving well.
For a sump return I am planning on about 3500gph, return location yet to be determined.
I'll be supplementing tank flow with some Vortechs. I plan on putting in a 4" DSB and see how far I can push circulation over top of the sandbed.

I already have a few Luminarc III 400W lamps. I'll start out by putting 2 over the tank over the access holes. I also ordered lexan lids for the openings. I'll see if I can get a PAR meter and see how much of a difference the lids make.
I don't plan on supplementing the lighting.
Who knows, maybe there will be some plasma lights sometime in the future!

This is going to be a fun winter!

Mitch
Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wowza, that's some tank! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:24 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Love the dimensions and love the acrylic!

My only concern (and it's too late now) is the acrylic thickness. Hopefully, it is 1" thick, but that will leave you unable to use the Vortechs which I believe won't work on 1" acrylic. I would bet that a 96" x 30" panel would deflect if it were 3/4" thick.

Get some of these large strainers for those intakes. Like these (on the right, NOT like the ones on the left)... These don't clog up or create dangerous suction like the smaller ones do.

These strainers only come in female threaded, so put a female threaded bulkhead in and shorten a threaded nipple so that the strainer fits as snugly as possible against the bulkhead. Have a couple extra so you can just swap them out to clean them.

Nice...How many sides are you going to have viewable?...and what are the plans for your fishroom?
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

The new MP60 will work on 1" thickness
Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 AM

I was thinking of the MP60's already.

The tank is 3/4". I asked Tenecor if by switching to 1" I could reduce the size of the bracing, but they said no. It would only give a thicker appearance to the acrylic. For the price (and added weight) it didn't seem worth it.

Untamed, I did see those strainers on your tank build and want to get those. You got them from U.S. Plastics, didn't you?

This tank is going in my workshop, so the fish room options are pretty much open. No restrictions for height or space.
3 sides viewable, with a blue back.

Mitch
Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 AM

Willito is on a distinguished road

Nice tank, I am suprise you didn't go with 1" acrylic. With that height and width, 3/4" won't give you the piece of mind that 1" would. If you have decided to go this big, why stinch on the most important part.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 AM

Because Tenecor are the builders and that's what they recommended.

Mitch
Old 09-17-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
I was thinking of the MP60's already.

The tank is 3/4". I asked Tenecor if by switching to 1" I could reduce the size of the bracing, but they said no. It would only give a thicker appearance to the acrylic. For the price (and added weight) it didn't seem worth it.

Untamed, I did see those strainers on your tank build and want to get those. You got them from U.S. Plastics, didn't you?

This tank is going in my workshop, so the fish room options are pretty much open. No restrictions for height or space.
3 sides viewable, with a blue back.

Mitch
Yes, I think it was US Plastics. They were difficult to find and I had to order them from the US...that much I recall.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 09-18-2010, 12:44 AM

I called Tenecor today, they were just starting on the tank...
A 3/4 tank will deflect 1/4" at the most, and a 1" would be negligible.
I told them to go ahead and upgrade to the 1".
Thanks for the input.

Mitch
Old 09-18-2010, 05:11 AM

I think that is a good call. My tank is 1" all round. When I'm working in the tank, I lay a plank across the opening and kneel on top of the tank to work. I imagine you'll be able to do that as well, and it is quite handy.