Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-14-2020, 01:20 AM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road
Default Pin and Epoxy

I found that if you glue too big of a structure together, it may cause issues if you need to get livestock out etc by HAVING to remove the rock.

This is why my preference is to epoxy , but also pin pieces together so it can be dismantled easier if needed.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:35 AM

cvrle1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwithareefer View Post
I found that if you glue too big of a structure together, it may cause issues if you need to get livestock out etc by HAVING to remove the rock.

This is why my preference is to epoxy , but also pin pieces together so it can be dismantled easier if needed.
yeah this is one of my worries, not just because i wouldnt be able to get rocks out, but I wont be able to get rocks in once I am done with scape as well. I have acrylic tank that has full brace on the top, and just 2 bigger openings. So I have to make sure that whatever I make can actually fit inside the tank through one of those 2 holes lol

(Pic of tank while I was polishing all the scratches)
Old 04-14-2020, 04:57 AM

Guy is on a distinguished road

If you have some pieces that you know for sure you'll be using on the bottom, wet down some sand paper, put it on a flat surface and shave your rock bottom to a flatness that works for you. It'll help with the stability and also give that look of and endless sand depth as rock seems to rise up from the sand bed.

I used 150 Grit that I had lying around.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If you have some pieces that you know for sure you'll be using on the bottom, wet down some sand paper, put it on a flat surface and shave your rock bottom to a flatness that works for you. It'll help with the stability and also give that look of and endless sand depth as rock seems to rise up from the sand bed.

I used 150 Grit that I had lying around.
Thats a good idea, and I have loads of sand paper. I do have tile saw that I used on few pieces with idea to do precisely what you said once I have something that I am happy with. A lot faster than sand paper haha.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:04 PM

lemon604 is on a distinguished road

This is a very helpful video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A_k6EDHvrWc
Old 04-14-2020, 07:38 PM

Played around some more with the 1st structure. Got idea of seeing if I can build some sort of asymmetrical cove out of it. Here is what I came up with so far

There are 2" on all sides between structure and panel, so that there would be water movement, and so that acrylic cleaner can be used. Structure is almost 1/2 the tank height wise. One thing I am not sure is about water movement inside the cove. I will be using 2 gyre XF230s, so it should give me enough movement to move detritus as so on.

I also started playing with idea of doing "bonsai tree" structure on the left

Idea is to add 2 more longer "branches" so one would reach rule of 3rds point top left. Not sure how this will all work out, as i just started.

Any feedback critique, info is more than welcome.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:28 PM

LifeIsGreat is on a distinguished road

I like it, fills out the space better and has more of a 3D feel than your first go. I'd be gluing or pinning the vertical structure for sure. If you use cement on the rocks be aware that the cement will raise the PH of your water to lethal levels for about 2 month while it is curing, then a 100% water change will be needed. I cure cement in fresh water for 2 months then drain and switch to salt water. Glue will give you faster results.

Last edited by LifeIsGreat; 04-14-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:13 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

If I were you I would make sure there is minimum 6inches of space between your rock and the acrylic. You have to factor into account any coral then room nonstick your hand in there to clean the glass. All sides.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:14 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGreat View Post
I like it, fills out the space better and has more of a 3D feel than your first go. I'd be gluing or pinning the vertical structure for sure. If you use cement on the rocks be aware that the cement will raise the PH of your water to lethal levels for about 2 month while it is curing, then a 100% water change will be needed. I cure cement in fresh water for 2 months then drain and switch to salt water. Glue will give you faster results.
This is only true if you use cement not meant for your tank. Use reef safe cement like Fijicrete and you wont have to worry.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:18 AM

Ryancw is on a distinguished road

http://https://www.jlaquatics.com/aq...1500-gram.html

i just used this stuff and loved it. very similar to fijicrete