Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-29-2020, 05:30 PM

cvrle1 is on a distinguished road
Default Dry Erase Marker on rocks. Reef safe?

I think I have my scape done, and something I am happy with. Since I will have to move it from table into the tank when time comes, I want it to match what I have now. I used driveway markers and cement to have 3 bigger pieces that stack on top of one another, thats not an issue. Question is, to make sure that each piece aligns in the same spot on top of the other, can I use dry erase marker to put 3-4 lines on the rocks so that i use those as guide lines when I try to re-allign rocks? No idea if marker will have adverse effects in any way on the tank chemicals wise.

Ideas of what I mean (scrap pieces)

Old 04-29-2020, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

To be on the safe side I would probably just put a couple dots of epoxy on the rock as reference points and also just take pictures from a few angles.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:28 PM

on R2R someone brought up a good point. A lot of people that frag corals use sharpies on plugs to mark what they are. I am guessing sharpie may actually be ok, as they havent seen any issues with it.

Epoxy could also work, but have no idea if it will still be there once cycle is done. i will cycle rocks outside the tank, so no idea how any of these will actually fare in this situation. I may just have to be guinea pig
Old 04-29-2020, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'd just assumed you'd be immediately putting everything back together. Any reason you can't cycle in the tank? Easy enough to black out your tank if light is an issue.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:28 PM

Still working on skinning the stand. Then once that is done, I will need to work on plumbing and getting everything setup in sump and around it. Due to this, tank will be moved on and off the stand more than once. Thankfully it is acrylic, so it is not heavy, but I cant have rocks in there until all of this is done 1st.