Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > fijireefrock.com

View Poll Results: if you where to start all over what would you chose
I would get any(man made) dry rocks and seed it with any live rock from LFS 4 11.76%
I would get natural dry rock and seed it with live rock from LFS 14 41.18%
I would get natural dry rock and seed it with aquacultured live rock from LFS 16 47.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

I would or I will on my next setup go with 90% dry real reef rock specific types and seed it with some live rock (aquaculture if its full of life or wild live rock but have to detail inspect the rock)

Reason being
I have in the past tried full system loaded with only wild live rock with the issues of all types of unwanted critters weather fish killers or coral destroyers,...

After that I tried many types of dry rock
Tufa rock,very light land rock but its boulder shape and release of God knows what killing my corals slowly,...
Lava rock,Same issues as Tufa rock with its dark reddish coloration,..
Florida,Lace,Texas holy,etc...so many more types and or named rocks as they all are dense(no bacteria growth space) heavy and unnatural look,...
4 years ago I found Marco rock tried it and seem to somewhat enjoy the rock,seed it with some live rock and voila but as time passed I started missing my old natural look for real live rock and Marco rock started getting heavier and heavier as fast as each shipment arrives to my doors for resale,...didn't like the idea for selling as in the past heavier rock for the hobby so I decided to give up,....Did some more research visited some weird countries and made some new friends to find a decent $ on usable rock for my system.

Live rock comes in from all corners of the world get on a plane or a boat to make the long trip to our LFS,...unfortunately over 80% of the rock life dies during packing and shipping and thought why pay the extras for all that water weight,what if there is a way to do things a little different,maybe we are viewing things through a tunnel maybe there are more ways to see things,...

I remember live rock over 20 years ago use to come in unwashed and full of all types of coraline and dead what was ounce living critters,snails,eels,fish,..etc
Now rocks come in with only few sponges a little to no coraline and some bacteria with few bad hitchhikers,..

Maybe if we find a product that could eliminate some of the unwanted issues with our live rock we could have a better system start-up shaped the way we see reefs are built;from a small piece of calcium ions mixed through thousands of years with corals, fish and other living things to get the shapes we love to place in our systems.

as you could see I love my reef system and love to enjoy it front view not in the back,over or under the canopy

That said I voted #3
Old 10-19-2013, 06:39 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I would get specifically only live rock, not man made.
Same here
Old 11-02-2013, 03:39 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Me three
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
Me four
May I ask why? Im tired of other peoples pest crap and algae and so on. I added some of the real porous Pukini when I moved here to the reef rock I brought with me. Now its infested with small bubble algae inside all the cavities. Of course that came from another aquarist to my regular fiji rock. Never mind pest anenomes and carpet freakin algae...........................Whats wrong with all dry rock?

Do I not just need it biologically active after cycling?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Not going with quarried rock again. DIY worked well but too much work. Live (preferred) or dried (clean) from the ocean next time.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Doug, I've read too many stories of huge algae issues during the early stages. And for me, the LIVE rock is live, having all the bacteria and microorganisms I want in my tank. I've used real rock from the real ocean on 5 separate builds, and only once got any real pests, which took me about 20 minutes to deal with and was kinda fun!
This is where the worms and the pods and the weird little critters come from. And really, the mainstream pests, aptaisia, algae, etc, will eventually get in anyway on frags or as spores in water.
My current tank is in it's 4th year, no pests, no algae, no problems whatsoever. Yes, I have a crab in the tank. So what? He's been there the whole time and I've seen it twice. No damage to anything.
The only real reason that I can see in using pretend live rock is price. It's cheaper, and that is important to some people.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Doug, I've read too many stories of huge algae issues during the early stages. And for me, the LIVE rock is live, having all the bacteria and microorganisms I want in my tank. I've used real rock from the real ocean on 5 separate builds, and only once got any real pests, which took me about 20 minutes to deal with and was kinda fun!
This is where the worms and the pods and the weird little critters come from. And really, the mainstream pests, aptaisia, algae, etc, will eventually get in anyway on frags or as spores in water.
My current tank is in it's 4th year, no pests, no algae, no problems whatsoever. Yes, I have a crab in the tank. So what? He's been there the whole time and I've seen it twice. No damage to anything.
The only real reason that I can see in using pretend live rock is price. It's cheaper, and that is important to some people.
Thanks for the answer Brad. I did have bad algae growth on mine but it was mixed, as mentioned. Was going to do the same again after scrubbing the crap outta my rock but thought unless a downside, giving this a try.

Actually I have never had any pests like crabs, etc. Just stuff from others, like red turf and bubble algae. My pukani is so infested inside, its impossible to clean without killing the rock completely. Thats sad to as I have a huge green monti on one

Last edited by Doug; 11-02-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Well for the first time since I can remember I have a tank with no bubble algae finally!!!!!!!!
Along with I have no red turf algae OMG. I don't know what the heck happened my rock is changing all purple after 11 years of reefing its all turning purple.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:19 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Well for the first time since I can remember I have a tank with no bubble algae finally!!!!!!!!
Along with I have no red turf algae OMG. I don't know what the heck happened my rock is changing all purple after 11 years of reefing its all turning purple.
Can you elaborate on that statement?What did you do or change?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 AM
Rest In Peace

He gave it all to me...........
Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree on some things you said..
These answers are only coming from my experience within the past years in the hobby.
I have always believed in getting as live rock as possible But still needs cycling otherwise 1st and foremost algae takes over.
Dry rock is exactly the same as above for cycling.
Pest is and will be always on frags its up to every person as a buyer to be careful and diligent in picking the frags going in any system as I seen it many times over the years people asking me of solving pest problem coming from frags and letting it take over the system as sometimes well more often then not getting people out of the hobby or restarting all over again (a very unfortunate as money is wasted)
I believe if cycling,acclimation and being diligent on what's going in your system will reflect in the end for an amazing picture like aquarium.

Not trying to sound like I am selling my rock but few month ago I did some testing on dry rock (pukani,fiji,plate,...) for cycling periods and algae growth.
3 different bins.
1-dry rock in a heated 82 degree saltwater bin,couple power heads with lights over it and 10% water change every week,seeded with live rock from my system.
2-dry rock in a 82 degree saltwater bin and couple power head without any lights.seeded with live rock from my system.20% water change after 3 weeks.
3-dry rock in a 80 degree running in my sump(no lights) that houses 600glns and about 500 lbs of live rock throughout my tanks.

Some of the results

1-the rock cycled and took longer time and was full of algae that I hater and having a hard time cleaning it.
2-the rock cycled perfect full of bacteria, pods and all (from my original rock) with no issues for algae then slowly introduced lights and started feeding the rock...I love it with no issues now.
3-Best cycle ever lots of life besides nitrifying bacteria and soon will be doing an upgrade to my system using the rocks from test 2 and 3.

What I see lots of people using dry rock and having it cycle with full spectrum lights,fish and at that time I call it junk as it turns rock for a longer period of cycle.(simply people cannot wait for a good thing,...they simple want a reef and a reef done and ready yesterday better than today,...

I still every time I bring a coral shipment do the dip and inspect every coral going in my system or being sold.As my beliefs ..what I don't put in my system should never be sold...

Yes I will miss a crab or 2 as shown in the above photo...but I have no issues with any of my main system rocks

Last edited by eli@fijireefrock.com; 11-03-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Tags
aquarium rock, branch rock, calcium, carbonate, chemicals, dry rock, eli, fiji, fiji premium, fiji reef rock, glue, lace rock, live rock, magnesium, marco rocks, photo, picture, pukani, reef, reef rock, salt water tank, shelf rock, store, tonga, tukani