Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-01-2018, 05:38 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
This is totally normal on start up. If you placed a TDS sensor between the RO and the DI you would notice that the first blast of water will typically be about the same TDS as plain tap water. The DI resin will not catch all of it so you'll see some in the product water. This is one of the reasons why it's so important to run the RODI for long periods rather than short periods and why your fish RODI should never be hooked up to a pressure tank.
Ok awesome! Thanks Mindy. I figured if the DI Resin was shot the numbers would be constant on the TDS and not just when the valve is first opened. Makes sense to me, I will just have to keep an eye on it to make sure it’s not registering constant.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:19 AM

Looking at purchasing a clam in the near future for this tank. I was hoping to get one that would be able to sit on the sand bed, I like the more colorful species. Lighting is not an issue as this tank will eventually be filled with SPS, select LPS and ZoAS. Any suggestions on a nice colorful clam species that can be kept on the sandbed with success? I was looking at the electric blue squamosa online and it was pretty nice.

Anyone currently having success with a nice colorful clam on the sandbed please chime in
Old 05-02-2018, 11:55 AM

dino is on a distinguished road

I have never been able to get myself to buy one and im no except but different types like different locations in the tank.Derasa or Squamosa are best for the sand? I think?
Old 05-02-2018, 03:07 PM

The only ones I have really saw for Sale are the squamosa, crocea or maxima. I would prefer to have the clam on the sand bed as i have a really nice place for it. Besides aesthetics, I believe clams filter nutrients in the water. I could be wrong... finally have room for a nice clam though.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:21 AM

Default 1 of 3 New Reactors

One of my reactors arrived today (others are in backorder). The Aquamaxx reactor should do the trick for running GFO. Hopefully the other two will be sufficient for carbon on this size of tank. I also have my manifold all connected and supported using some black brackets I found at ikea. I was surprised how well these curtain brackets worked for the application and how sleek they looked. I also went ahead and ordered the acrylic bracket to allow the weight to be supported off the sump. Overall the reactor should be easy to remove for cleaning and refill. A couple photos to accompany my rambling.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:33 AM

Ugh. Work always gets in the way of tank time. Hopefully I will be able to get this reactor online and test out the plumbing manifold.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:00 AM

No one has really chimed in regarding WC volume and frequency for a larger tank. Obviously if NO3 and PO4 goes up it is time for a WC but this can be controlled by carbon dosing or specialized media. I’m looking more for replacement of of trace elements and general health of the reef. I am currently doing biweekly WC of 10% and overall everything is looking good. I was just wondering if I could get away with monthly WC to cut down the amount of time spent.

Please feel free to offer suggestions or feedback.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:28 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

WC is subjective, find a routine that works for your system.
If 10% biweekly is working out so far, adjust from there if you want to spread apart.

Try say 15-20% every 3 or 4 weeks. Do that for a while and see how the tank responds.

Some do WC few and far between, some do weekly changes religiously.

FWIW, way back my nicest sps dominant 180 got very random infrequent WC. And usually I would do 30G at a time.

Now having said that, on my new display which will be SPS dominant, I'm going to try aim for regular monthly WC of about 10-20%. (Probably 10% at 30G). This is probably on the lower end of the spectrum I'm guessing.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinreefer View Post
WC is subjective, find a routine that works for your system.
If 10% biweekly is working out so far, adjust from there if you want to spread apart.

Try say 15-20% every 3 or 4 weeks. Do that for a while and see how the tank responds.

Some do WC few and far between, some do weekly changes religiously.

FWIW, way back my nicest sps dominant 180 got very random infrequent WC. And usually I would do 30G at a time.

Now having said that, on my new display which will be SPS dominant, I'm going to try aim for regular monthly WC of about 10-20%. (Probably 10% at 30G). This is probably on the lower end of the spectrum I'm guessing.
Thanks for the information! I like 30g WC myself as it is quite easy to do in the new tank. I always bock at the idea of doing the 30g WC monthly but cave in shortly sticking to biweekly.

I have read a bunch of information that states small frequent WC really take the SPS to the peak in colour and growth. I guess I will just stick to what I have been doing for a couple months. I may brave stretching the WC out and see how he tank reacts. Everything is still settling in so I don’t want to rock the boat too much.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:02 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

I did 50 G every 2weeks on my 250 with a 75G sump

Your tank looks good!

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC

Tags
build, reef tank, salt water aquarium, sps, tank build