Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-18-2017, 02:43 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road
Default Gas bubbles from low water level passing through pump

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever run into an issue where water levels went low so your pump ended up spewing tons of air into the tank.

Something similar happened to my tank yesterday. I came home to some gurgling and the return chamber in my AIO had been running low all day so there were excessive bubbles in the display until I was able to top it back up.

I found one of the fish hiding on the bottom of the tank, breathing looked laborious and there seemed to be troubles with buoyancy. Searches online yielded similar but not 100% exact information relating to gas bubble disease.

I don't see any lesions or bubbles underneath the skin or gills, but the symptoms point to supersaturation due to the cavitating pump causing elevated gas levels.

There's not much I can do other than wait it out, right?
Old 10-18-2017, 03:10 PM

kengeroo is on a distinguished road
Default fishes..

odd some poeple actually do this on purpose,, (micro bubble scrubbing),, supposed to do wonders for corals..
I do it once in a while (air line into GYRE),, never had an issue with fish or coral...

you would think it would dissipate more CO2 out of the water,,
Old 10-18-2017, 03:17 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

this happens to me everytime my ato runs out lol. ive been lazy. fish get a little scared but that's it
Old 10-18-2017, 03:58 PM

604reefer is on a distinguished road

When this happens my chromis gets spooked, but doesn't seem to have any health impact
Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

That's interesting.

I guess it's helpful to note that I'm only running a 20g AIO with an upgraded sicce pump. I would think that it is definitely putting more gasses into the tank than an airpump/airstone, especially if it's been going on all day.

I'm at work and haven't checked on the tank since last night. I'm hoping that the fish can work out the excess air out of their body over time and pull through.

This has happened a couple times, mostly because I've unplugged my ATO recently to work out a couple kinks. I've noticed that when water level dips and the sicce starts pumping air into the display, these bubbles attach to some corals. Others like my candy cane trumpets start sliming in response as well.

Last edited by Moogled; 10-18-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:33 PM

604reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogled View Post
That's interesting.

I guess it's helpful to note that I'm only running a 20g AIO with an upgraded sicce pump. I would think that it is definitely putting more gasses into the tank than an airpump/airstone, especially if it's been going on all day.

I'm at work and haven't checked on the tank since last night. I'm hoping that the fish can work out the excess air out of their body over time and pull through.

This has happened a couple times, mostly because I've unplugged my ATO recently to work out a couple kinks. I've noticed that when water level dips and the sicce starts pumping air into the display, these bubbles attach to some corals. Others like my candy cane trumpets start sliming in response as well.
Also running a 20g with a sicce power head, not AIO though. Seems to work itself out pretty quick for me. Some of the corals do seem to get a little agitated, but never noticed sliming on any of my LPS.