Home based

Reef supply's canada
Kraken
Frag cave
Madjelly
Modular led
Fijirock

Brick and morter

Concepts (onley still he because of Denny)
Reef supplies (go reef)
BRS (USA)
Fragbox
Pets and ponds

Now let's say I talk to aqua digital I want some tropical marine stuff I get sent to aquarium illusions (non sponsor ) so now I have to switch to Facebook as there on there to talk about a product. (I'm no longer on canreef)

As this grows it's a snow ball effect.

Now let's look at who left

Brick and morter.

Aquarium illusions
Redcoral
Blue world
Marine experience
Marine aquaria

Home based

Snappy (back with concepts but still a lost store)

There's more I can't remember off the top of my head.

And I know your gonna see more leave befor more come back.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:03 AM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello,

Guys and gals, I've read through all your comments and ideas. I've started a separate thread to capture and responded to them here.

Please have a look and continue to discuss. If you have ideas, please voice out. If you can help to contact the aquariums and academics, please put some proposals here. I can't do everything on my own and not all ideas will be implemented but I do want to hear what you think and have to suggest.

Titus
Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

My four main suggestions have already been discussed:

Make surfing canreef on my smartphone more accessible/user friendly

Make it easier to post pics on the site

On another fish forum I belong to, we can look up the list of members currently on, click on their name and start chatting/IMing immediately. Very painless process. This would be a good way to build a stronger community, cause IMing increases communications.

Editing function - sometimes its a bit of a pain that you can only change or add to a post in the first 15 minutes. At least change this for the classifieds so sellers can edit items off their list or change prices over time.

Last edited by SeaHorse_Fanatic; 01-19-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
My four main suggestions have already been discussed:

Make surfing canreef on my smartphone more accessible/user friendly

Make it easier to post pics on the site

On another fish forum I belong to, we can look up the list of members currently on, click on their name and start chatting/IMing immediately. Very painless process. This would be a good way to build a stronger community, cause IMing increases communications.

Editing function - sometimes its a bit of a pain that you can only change or add to a post in the first 15 minutes. At least change this for the classifieds so sellers can edit items off their list or change prices over time.
I agree, especially with the last editing function statement, it would sure help to streamline the classified section.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello,

Okay in terms of being able to edit the first post, the current behavior of only able to edit within the first 15 min was really brought about with us having to maintain some sort of trail of what have been posted to prevent people from completely deleting the contents after items have been sold or pulled.

If we introduce a new area where any items posted can be flagged with the appropriate statuses, then there should be no more concern here. However because we see merits of leaving the 15 min to prevent people from back tracking what they has been said.

Can we start putting together a list of names to be nominated as our resident SMEs? I'd like to see us having streams of periodicals written in the themes of Breeding, Chemistry, etc. Any nominations from the academia or the aquariums?

Titus
Old 01-19-2014, 12:07 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

I have the general impression that quality information is hard to find here.
I see lots of posts regarding colours, appearance and photography, but specific coral care information is hit and miss.
The quality of the membership is the most important, and I would like to see a better organization of information so that if someone wishes to get into the finer details of coral growth and breeding, the information can be found quickly. The search function is fine, but you can spend a lot of time, especially if you are new here, going through irrelevant posts.

The hobby has come so far in the last 10 years, I would like to see people take it to the next level. I can get together what articles and information I have found valuable, and I'm sure there are others here that contribute a lot of valuable information as well.

There just needs to some sort of "tree" organization for all the great information and research that has been done over the years.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post

so sellers can edit items off their list.
Anthony, exactly the reason it isn't allowed. We don't want items removed.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:52 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Maybe free sponsorship for some non-profit or public organizations might incent them to participate on Canreef. That would be great.

Also would be nice to get Vancouver Aquarium and Ripley's (in Toronto) to participate. I am sure they have a few little secrets about reef keeping that we would all like to read about.
And Titus in his sticky thread (now closed) asked:
"I am interested and listening. Can you put together a case and if you know someone in these organizations who may be interested?"

I don't know people in those organizations, but possibly others on canreef do. The case would be to increase awareness of their programs and facilities. For universities, this might attract young canreef members to enroll in courses and studies that they otherwise may not have been interested in. And for aquariums, would increase interest in exhibits and events which would increase attendance and revenues.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus View Post
Hello,

Okay in terms of being able to edit the first post, the current behavior of only able to edit within the first 15 min was really brought about with us having to maintain some sort of trail of what have been posted to prevent people from completely deleting the contents after items have been sold or pulled.

If we introduce a new area where any items posted can be flagged with the appropriate statuses, then there should be no more concern here. However because we see merits of leaving the 15 min to prevent people from back tracking what they has been said.

Can we start putting together a list of names to be nominated as our resident SMEs? I'd like to see us having streams of periodicals written in the themes of Breeding, Chemistry, etc. Any nominations from the academia or the aquariums?

Titus
Hi Titus:
If items in the first post can be flagged as to there current status it would be a terrific upgrade. I could live with the 15 minute statement editing time if the flagging was added, my suggestions for flagging would be SOLD, PENDING SALE, PRICE UPDATE. Thanks for taking the time to address issues on the forum.

Cheers Laurie
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

I've looked through a lot of this thread, there are some good ideas.
One thing to keep in mind is this, I've noticed that quite a few people, myself included, don't really know what the site is capable of.
I've been on this site for years, I'm still finding out the "ins and outs" of the functions. I've found something that works and have never questioned it. Truth be told, if I knew the capabilities of the site maybe I'd do things a bit differently.
Then again, I'm old and lazy, so I'm sure I'll just keep doing the same old thing.