Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Which option would be most suitable for a high school science classroom?
4ft reef 25 23.58%
4ft fowlr 14 13.21%
4ft community 12 11.32%
6ft reef 20 18.87%
6ft fowlr 7 6.60%
6ft community 2 1.89%
4ft community and smaller special interest tank (nano) 8 7.55%
6ft community and smaller special interest tank (nano) 2 1.89%
one saltwater, one freshwater (please specify below) 8 7.55%
other (please specify below) 8 7.55%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 PM

dunl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.tan View Post
Thought this thread had died down but have managed to get a few pics of the tanks in my classroom ....and yes, there are palys in there (Note the blue gloves in the first pic!)

Those look awesome!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thought this thread had died down but have managed to get a few pics of the tanks in my classroom ....and yes, there are palys in there (Note the blue gloves in the first pic!)

Front corner of the classroom. Empty acrylic will be for a peacock mantis once I find one. The exoterra currently has an orchid and a tropical pitcher plant in it (a work in progress).

BC 29: My display tank showing the different phyla

BC14: My tiger pistol shrimp/orange spot goby symbiosis tank
Great 'scape on your 14...
Old 11-18-2010, 02:42 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

What do you do over the summer? Risk the move and take it home?

Quote:

Front corner of the classroom. Empty acrylic will be for a peacock mantis once I find one. The exoterra currently has an orchid and a tropical pitcher plant in it (a work in progress).

BC 29: My display tank showing the different phyla

BC14: My tiger pistol shrimp/orange spot goby symbiosis tank

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:53 AM

s.tan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
What do you do over the summer? Risk the move and take it home?
What I did last year was to sell as many fish as I thought I could replace easily in early June. The plan was to restock in September. I moved the remaining fish into a BC14 which I moved to a colleague's house since I was going away for a 5 week vacation. The lights on the BC 29 are on timers so it stayed. When I came back, I moved the BC 14 back and dropped by every few days to feed the tanks. Some of the LPS that benefit from feeding were a little smaller after the 5 week absence but some had actually developed new polyps.
So that's the plan for this year with the only change being that the BC 14 will be moved to a new colleague's house. It seems that having tanks in the classroom is not only an attraction for students, even ones that I don't actually teach... but also colleagues. This colleague just picked up a 75 gallon system but still comes everyday at lunch to sit in front of my tanks. Its actually nicer now that I have someone to talk tanks with.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:22 PM

My plan was the same, as I am hoping to buy/sell/trade different things for the students so that they can experience more than the usual types of things in one year. I'll have to be really careful about it, but it should work. And I'm 15 minutes away but come here often, so if it takes a little longer to sell....no worries.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:57 AM

Well, thanks to a great deal from a fellow des_merc, my classroom now sports an 85g with a sump. I rigged up a Durso for it today, so it's nice and quiet too, except for the sump, but I'll work on that later. Nice DSB with it, so and he was kind enough to help transport and set everything up as well.

Best part is...we start our Bio unit on Monday. Can't wait.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 PM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road

i wouldnt worry to much about distractions, the kids that want to learn will learn and the kids that dont, wont pay attention regardless of whats there or not...
Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 AM

s.tan is on a distinguished road

Post some pics when you get a chance! Can't wait to see someone else's setup ...kind of feeding my MTS vicariously through others!! LOL!

P.S. Got another colleague into the hobby!! He picked up a 14 gallon biocube and has been visiting the LFS every weekend. Can't wait for the infection/addiction to spread!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Old 04-27-2011, 03:05 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Looks good! Great idea for the students!

I myself have A.D.D., and when I was in junior high there was a tank in two of my classes...(and one in highschool too) sure they 'could' be distracting if the whole class saw one fish bite another and the kid sitting next to the tank decided to tell everyone... but I thought other students were 200x more distracting than the tanks.

(well, I had my own cooler tanks at home anyways even by then haha... MTS ftw... so goldfish and tetras were hardly distracting).

I have to agree that things like this, the actual things like the symbiosis (mutualism) between the shrimp and goby... or the different phyla of animals, etc... the chemistry... all of that kind of stuff right at your fingertips with a good application to literally 'view' it from, is definitely great for the class. Glad its working out for you (this thread and the other).

Cheers,

Chris