Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-23-2006, 07:13 AM

wild2cpl is on a distinguished road

Hey there are water alarms that are fairly cheap these days. We run into these pobs all the time being a restoration firm. Home depot sells them for about $20-30.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:00 PM

Tangman is on a distinguished road

J&L sells the screamer that you mentioned ,check out that web site
Good to hear things are back to normal
Reguards.....
Old 06-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Wow what a nightmare, at least you're back on track now.

Wendell at OA just got some of those screamer thingys in, it was on his new items page last week I think

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:29 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

If you have a home security system you can add a water bug that sets off your alarm, mine's on a long cord coming from a wall jack so you can place it where you want. So even if you're not home they will phone you.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 06-23-2006, 10:32 PM

chwkreefer is on a distinguished road

The restoration guy is using a fast setting drywall mud . . . He said he wasn't leaving today (Friday) until everything was done on my fishtank walls. This way we could paint it Saturday and have my sump back in before the weekend was over. That is great news!!

I'm definitely planning on buying a "screamer".
Old 06-23-2006, 10:48 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Me too. Usually, I am the "screamer".
Old 06-24-2006, 02:47 PM

Tangman is on a distinguished road

Hey Bill, If you don't have your sump back in yet, is there any way you could put in a drain system in? , possibly with pond liner material or something? and a drain pipe say through the wall?
If you remember I am putting in a bigger sump and that's what I am doing. I am fiber glassing the floor and 4 inches up the wall under the tank and putting in a drain through the wall, this way if there is an over-flow the water just flows out side, instead of damaging the house.
Just an idea
Reguards..Ron
Old 06-24-2006, 09:19 PM

chwkreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangman
Hey Bill, If you don't have your sump back in yet, is there any way you could put in a drain system in? , possibly with pond liner material or something? and a drain pipe say through the wall?
If you remember I am putting in a bigger sump and that's what I am doing. I am fiber glassing the floor and 4 inches up the wall under the tank and putting in a drain through the wall, this way if there is an over-flow the water just flows out side, instead of damaging the house.
Just an idea
Reguards..Ron
Hey Ron,
Actually when I built this set up 3 years ago, I did put in a floor drain that goes down to the crawlspace. . . and lined the bottom with fiberglass that goes up about 1.5" inches. The problem was that my container for my skimmate is in the closet beside this fiberglass liner. My container too has a JG fitting with a line that runs back to the floor drain. So I thought my bases were covered. But something set my skimmer to go absolutely nuts that night and my skimmate container couldn't drain fast enough I suppose and it ended up blowing the lid up. I will be making some mods to my skimmer and waste collection system. I like those waste collectors with the ping pong ball idea and will probably make one.

Also, I will be building a plexiglass liner to sit in my closet on top of my laminate flooring. I will put a bulkhead in the liner and run some pipe to dump any spilled water back to the floor drain. The floor drain empties into a larger rubbermaid in the crawlspace. I might change that up a bit too. I might hilti out a hole through the concrete foundation and run the drainline to the outside.

So far that part of the system has always been a fail safe set up. But I didn't see anything close to what my skimmer did that night ever in the past.

I will also add a "screamer" to the floor of the liner and so I will have an audible warning if a leak should occur. When we built the house I thought I had everything planned out so well for potential hazards. Overall I was happy with how disasters were always averted until last week. Lesson learned. Especially when you are on a second floor with a fully finished room below.

Last edited by chwkreefer; 06-24-2006 at 10:10 PM.