Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-27-2008, 09:40 PM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

I've got the Sybon refractometer it came with a bottle of ultra pure water for calibration (water-- 0% anything +/- o.o1ppt) It's actually called "ultrapurewater"!
It seems to do the trick, although I've never tested it against anything else
Old 12-27-2008, 10:32 PM

Hairytank is on a distinguished road

Yes, I used the "ultrapure" water to check the calibration and it was right on the money. So, if that (0.0129) is an acurate reading, which I think it is, then I will do some slow changes to the water.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:29 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

seen this poll?

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showt...=Refractometer
Old 12-28-2008, 12:39 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I have 3 hydrometers and 1 refractometer. One of the 3 hydros is the type you float in water and the other two are swing arm types. All 3 hydros came with used tanks that I purchased. The 'float in water' hydrometer appears to be more accurate than the two swing arm types and reads favourably when compared to the refractometer. In addition the float hydro has a built in thermometer. One thing to remember about hydrometers is they are not temperature compensated and since they are initially calibrated to read at a certain temperature, if you don't compensate, you will get inaccurate readings. Most refractometers are automatically temperature compensated, you just need to wait a few moments for the fluid to get to the same temperature as the refractometer glass.

I've seen on other boards that some folks recommend calibrating refractometers using a fluid (pinpoint usually) which is at 1.026 specific gravity. The reasoning being that this is where you want your refractometer to be most accurate and if you calibrate at zero, it's not a guarantee that it is accurate at the salinity range we usually check. I asked the question on that board if anyone had calibrated using the 1.026 fluid and then checked the zero with pure water to see if there was any error and never did get a satisfactory response. Personally, I calibrate at zero and have even found that it's almost impossible to see a difference at zero whether I use Vernon tap water or distilled water.

Since getting the refracto, I keep my water at around 1.024 on the refracto scale. I don't worry too much about a point or two difference. But I do make sure that when I perform a water change, the new water is as close as possible to the tank water. I check it two or three times to make sure since I tend to change a lot of water every 20 days or so vice smaller changes more frequently. Other than my fish, cuc, I have an anemone and a number of soft corals as well as a hammer and all the livestock seems fine with this level of salinity.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-28-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:22 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
.004 of a difference is normal between a hydrometer and a refractometer. That why refractometers are recommended. A friend of mine's hydrometer was out by .008, that is why hydrometers are not very reliable.
Steven Pro did a test a little while back and compared 10 hydrometers he got from people against an electronic salinity probe and a refractometer. He found them to be both precise and accurate. The reason people prefer refractometers it that they are easier to use but this idea that swing arm type hydrometers are no good is a net myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Your refracto should have come with calibration fluid, I got mine at Red Coral too, same one, and mine came with it.
All of the refractometers sold recommend calibration with pure water. It doesn't always work right though. Check this out:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php#19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post

I've seen on other boards that some folks recommend calibrating refractometers using a fluid (pinpoint usually) which is at 1.026 specific gravity. The reasoning being that this is where you want your refractometer to be most accurate and if you calibrate at zero, it's not a guarantee that it is accurate at the salinity range we usually check. I asked the question on that board if anyone had calibrated using the 1.026 fluid and then checked the zero with pure water to see if there was any error and never did get a satisfactory response.
It's quite common actually, you're lucky but it could change over time so keep an eye on it. Usually you end up with the refractometer reading about 1.030 but it's a slope calibration issue and it's really about 1.025. I've won 2 bets on this very subject recently.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:52 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

m..waiter, I'm not sure I fully understand your response to my quote? What is 'quite common' and how do you end up with 'the refractometer reading about 1.030...?? Bets on what exactly?
Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Steven Pro did a test a little while back and compared 10 hydrometers he got from people against an electronic salinity probe and a refractometer. He found them to be both precise and accurate. The reason people prefer refractometers it that they are easier to use but this idea that swing arm type hydrometers are no good is a net myth.

actualy it is not a myth at all, over the years there have been several colections doen and the swing arms only have a 25% accuracy rater from new.

also because of the way they are used they have a tendency to go farther out over time.

out of the 6 swing arms I have only 2 were accurate, I threw the rest out and use the 2 for quick checks and store them with ro water to prevent salt from changing the accuracy.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:17 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Double check your refractometer before you make changes. Pure water is NOT a good calibration standard for these things. Read this:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php
I read that and he said it is a good standard for initial calabration, but recomends that you check it once and a while against a sea water standard to make sure there were no manufacturing errors.

So basicly if you are using a good, refractometer the pure water is the way to calabrate it. It works for the labs and it will work for us.

If you have a questionable one then check it to make sure it is accurate at your SG

STEVE
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:20 AM

fragNplug is on a distinguished road

After reading this i guess its time to get one myself, im scared at what mine really is now.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

I have both, but haven't used the hydrometer in about 3 years. I always use the refractometer and will continue to do so. But a question comes to mind....if the error of a hydrometer is known, could the hydrometer not still be used and just simply apply the error in calculating the true reading?...or is an error in a hydrometer prone to fluctuate? (This is assuming the instrument is cleaned thoroughly after each use).

Cheers,