Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-07-2011, 02:26 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

The lionfish hasn't stung me yet but bristle worms have pricked my figures a lot in the past. I've also been bitten by the clownfish a couple of times too so I find gloves to be necessary when putting my hand in the tank.

I've attempted elevating the Mg in my tank to 1500ppm and above in the past using a conventional 9:1 magnesium chloride and sulfate salt mix. Even after several weeks the bryopsis still persisted. Take a look on RC and you'll find many reports of people successfully getting rid of it with Kent Tech M. Here is one of them: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...esium+bryopsis I tried to find a thread with one of Randy's posts in it but I'm running a little short on time. This product doesn't seem to work for everyone but for whatever reason it worked for me and Madreefer.

Edit: here is the original Tech M treatment for bryopsis thread from RC: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113109

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 02-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:40 PM

benzzz is on a distinguished road

Just went through the whole thread. Great tank and many nice changes. I have had a dwarf lion for about 3.5yrs and he eats like a champ. frozen mysis and he knows when I enter the room as he comes to the glass and sits on a toad stool and looks at me until i come over to feed him.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:07 AM

Default Porifera - the best things in life are free

Just a few of the sponges growing under my rocks. FYI I don't use any liquid phytoplankton foods.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 AM

ludinano is on a distinguished road

Well to start I must say your tank is inspiring to say the least. I came across your thread a while ago when searching for images of the bullet 3 skimmer. Your coral and fish husbandry show amazing results. Sorry about your loosing most your clams they looked amazing too. I have already planned on attemping to have my 100g stock tank sump look as clean as yours, since most stock tanks are just a mess of cords and tubes.

I must say i would appreciate your input on my (your) skimmer. I normaly frequent on RC and have recently ran into some confusion on sizing my skimmer.

Ive always thought a skimmer should be sized to your system. And when i was posting that i planned on using the bullet 3 i was told it was to big. Then got different responses one saying to size skimmer to display anouther just to size to your bio-load.... Which if you ask me is a loaded response.

Anyway my system will be similar to yours with 120 display, 100g stock tank, want a 50-60g frag tank, 50g refugium, and recently decided to have a small (30-40g) softy tank or other type of specialty tank added in.

To judge by (bio-load) main display to be packed with SPS and LPS 3-4 tangs and many smaller fish, then i would have frag tank probably with a fish in it, and the specialty tank with some fish ( thought about doing a mini predator tank.)

To judge by whole system would be roughly 370 with out rock displacement.

And to judge by display 120 G

It sounds like you've been very happy with your bullet 3.

long story... long Do you feel my system would be ok with the same?

Here is a link to my build thread. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1969241
Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 AM

I've tried to cut down on the mess of plumbing by keeping mine very direct and simple. However if you look closer I do have a lot of wires. I just try not to photograph them.

I plan to continue to use the bullet 3 when I eventually upgrade to a 250gal display which will boost my total system volume up to around 350gal. At the moment it seems to be more than enough of a skimmer for my tank so I'm confident that it will handle just fine. However the whole reason I use this skimmer is because I got a great deal on it buying it used. If I were to buy something new I'd probably get a modern design that is compact, quieter and more energy efficient.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 AM

I've been wanting an Ornate Wrasse since last July and I finally got one! A big thanks to J&L for getting it in. I've only had it for five days now but its settling in nicely. Having the wrasse in my frag bin makes it pretty difficult to get a good picture. Out of the 200 I took this is probably the best.

I also picked up a tailspot blenny because they're so cute.

Oh and I tried bio pellets again for the first few weeks of March... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There will not be a third time! It took months for my poor toadstool to recover from bleaching last time. So I tried cutting back to just 100ml of pellets but as you can see the results were the same. Everything else in the tank remains the same but my soft coral begin to bleach.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

That is so weird about your toadstool and pellet reaction. I have a Devils Hand and figure leather, been running pellets for about 6 months or more without any bleaching.

Love the new wrasse and tailspot, I see a frag of green monti with my name on it too

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-27-2011, 05:18 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

+1 on the fish....absolutely love Tailspot blennies......mine is one of my favorite fish.....also dig the sponge pics
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-09-2011, 04:12 PM

Two weeks ago the yellow canary wrasse jumped out of my frag tank... So last weekend I spent a lot of time building this contraption to keep that from happening to the ornate wrasse. I used about 20' of 1/2" PVC, a lot of angles, zip ties and about 10' of plastic chicken wire that I bought from a local pond and garden supply store. The chicken wire is grey and not transparent but its extremely fine so it doesn't block very much light. The openings are 1/4".

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Man that's a big frag tank! ..and wrasses in a frag tank?

Looks awesome!

- Brad