Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road
Default Caribbean underwater pics

A few pics from our recent vacation. The reef at our resort was disappointing. Although there were lots of fishes, the reef is very shallow and most of the corals, gorgonians, sea fans, etc were trampled.
I can't believe how many Lionfish there were. I understand why all the concern for this invasion; they were literally under every other rock ledge.
We also went to Xelha, Xcaret and Akumal. Akumal was easily the best of them. Xelha and Xcaret had lots of fish but the water is very murky from the fresh and saltwater mixing together. Anyhow, enjoy the pics.

Sargeant Majors were a real PITA. They would school around you and swim right in your face. Looking for handouts I guess.

And a few for you Tony:

Old 02-18-2011, 01:26 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

cool pics

360 Reef Tank
Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow look at all those awesome gorgonians!!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Very nice. No fair teasing us cash strapped common folk.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Wow look at all those awesome gorgonians!!
I knew you'd like them Tony. They're getting hard to find though; the reefs really aren't looking very good. I must have swam several square miles to get these shots for you. My wife kept saying: "Who in heck is Tony? And why does he like these things? They look like weeds!" Silly girl!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
Very nice. No fair teasing us cash strapped common folk.

Yeah right, Mr. Bahamas
Old 02-18-2011, 01:59 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That's hilarious about your wife (all women seem to clue in eventually about me, what's up with that?!) but yeah gee that's kinda sad about the lionfish and state of the reefs. Only been to Mexico once, 11 years ago now in year 2000 (how did the year 2000 become 11 years ago? What the ... ?) and I remember gorgs being everywhere. I was into reef tanks already back then but I had no idea how hard it was to get gorgs seeing them everywhere like that. Loved watching them whip back and forth in the waves.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Very nice photos.
from the last photo it sure is shallow.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
That's hilarious about your wife (all women seem to clue in eventually about me, what's up with that?!) but yeah gee that's kinda sad about the lionfish and state of the reefs. Only been to Mexico once, 11 years ago now in year 2000 (how did the year 2000 become 11 years ago? What the ... ?) and I remember gorgs being everywhere. I was into reef tanks already back then but I had no idea how hard it was to get gorgs seeing them everywhere like that. Loved watching them whip back and forth in the waves.

The state of the reefs down there is quite sad. We saw very few corals aside from some nice large Brains. I was chatting with a fellow from England who's been coming to the Caribbean for 20 years. He said back then the Elkhorn colonies seemed to go on forever in some spots; and the Sea Fans and Gorgs were like trees. Sponges of all colours were seen everywhere. According to him the hurricanes in the last decade have caused considerable damage as have the absence of urchins which were nearly wiped out due to some disease. Urchins help keep the algae in check and without them the corals were being overgrown. The good news is we saw lots of urchins: apparently they're making a come back. There are still lots of fishes though. We saw all kinds of Atlantic Blue Tangs, Parrotfishes and many Wrasses. Damsels, Angels,
and Triggers, as well as lots of Rays and Turtles. And of course one damn big Barracuda that followed me right to the beach!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias View Post
Very nice photos.
from the last photo it sure is shallow.

Yeah, that area was really rocky and kept the swimmers away. Hence, no damage.