Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-28-2016, 03:53 PM

Tankboy is on a distinguished road
Default Where do you dose?

Curious where everyone is dosing their 2 part solutions. Which chamber of the sump?
Skimmer Chamber?
Return Chamber?
Unused refugium chamber?

Reason I ask is I have a sump with a refugium. I currently dose into the refugium chamber as the instructions for my Vetex 180I say not do dose into the chamber the skimmer is installed in. So I dose into the refugium which houses nothing other than things that I am moving out of the display...but I am not happy with the way it is set up. Can I dose directly into the return chamber? I currently dose 55ml Calcium a day and 40ml Alk at night.
125 gallon Oceanic mixed reef, Maxspect 150, MP 40QD x 2, EShopps 300R Refugium, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2x Kessil AP700's, JBJ ATO with Advanced Acrylics ATO reservoir, Apex Next Gen with Neptune dosing pumps....and a bunch of other stuff including a lot of joy...and equal amounts of frustration!

Last edited by Tankboy; 11-28-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:04 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

The dosing hoses on my tank all go into the first chamber before the filter pad.

The reason it says not to go into the skimmer chamber is because it can affect the foam head of the skimmer, and also it can cause calcium carbonate build up on the skimmer impeller. For this latter reason you should not dose into the return chamber either.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-28-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:08 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I dose my alk into the return chamber and the calcium into the fuge chamber. I have them on timers so they each turn on once every 60 mintues but 30 minutes apart from each other so the alk and cal don't get dosed together. I like to separate the 2 to ensure I don't get rapid calcification in any of my pumps, this is also why I don't dose into the skimmer chamber and alwasy dose after the skimmer chamber.

When i first set up my dosing system I had the calcium and alk dosing at the same time. Within a few weeks (if I recall correctly) I had pretty much destroyed all my pumps with moving parts and they were totally calcified. By spreading the dosing out this has never happened again.

Just my experience.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:58 PM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road

I put my close to the skimmer output so there will be some water movement.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:23 AM

Tyfighter is on a distinguished road

I dose in to the return compartment, if I had an unused Refugium section that's probably where I would instead. I wouldn't dose in the skimmer section because like you said it will screw with the skimmer and I would keep it away from the Refugium since anything sensitive in there may really not like high concentrations of alk or calcium.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:45 PM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

I dose to to the return chamber of the sump as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk