Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default You get what you pay for?! A marketing hype or a reality?

Since Kien saved the day from a poll I came up with this great idea of starting something else! I hear all over the net about "you get what you pay for" . Some people religiously follow it, some twist it by a bit while some just stand against it. My stand is somewhat mix for different perspectives: for some cases I believe the line while for others, I completely disagree. Here's some points that I can presented for both sides:

You get what you pay for:

1. Custom build tanks: it is a well known fact that commercially available tanks are much cheaper than custom build tank. But I believe paying somewhat more for custom build tanks are worth it since thats the "house" of all your livestocks for which you will be paying money for!

2. Salt: IO is awesome; no doubt in that but it lacks some of the things that expensive salt has. Easy to overcome that with additives BUT you would have to measure things that are needed to be mixed. I believe paying $20 more for a bucket is worth it. After all, it is the 2nd most important thing for saltwater. But I also believe there's a very sharp break even point for using expensive to cheap salts as the tank size gets bigger.

3. Test kits: Yes I am willing to pay a bit more for test kits. Obviously not crazy amount but I believe the prices of salifert/elos are justified. Even hanna to some extend.

Complete marketing hype:

1. LEDs: You seriously don't get what you pay for in this! I have heard more problem from ecotec than people using AI or even evergrow!!! Alongside, the R&D thing is pretty lame to me too. Lets talk about a company do do cradle to grave R&D for LEDs: Kessil! They design and manufacture all their products starting from the silicons to a complete fixture: that's R&D. Putting a microcontroller with codes that you get to play around in your computer with a fancy user interface is R&D too but not to the extend that kessil do. But the price difference between a kessil and an radion pro is HUGE! Sure adding some fancy things that radion has is fun but that doesn't justify the "you get what you pay for" hype. You buy a toyota for $20k while a BMW for $50k; you get the self satisfaction but again, "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply.

2. Powerheads: Worst thing to me! Buying a vortec is like spending money on expensive ski gears while you never going to ski in real life but rather be a collector. Tunzi powerheads are AWESOME! So are hydros! You can even control them to produce random waves. In the end, what are you paying for? "I don't want power chords in my tank"....sure....get an wireless heater and motor then we will be talking And about the hype, vortecs get busted way too much than the cheapest hydors out there! BOOOOOOO!!!!

Well there are more but don't feel like writing much (will proceed as this thread gets big ).

Anyway, so what's your opinion?

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob