Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What is your level of interest in ATS?
Never Heard of it 95 64.63%
Read some, interesting, but I'll stick to my skimmer 31 21.09%
I want one for my tank 16 10.88%
I'm already running one 5 3.40%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 PM

cvermeulen is on a distinguished road

Could get away with a 304 stainless steel screen maybe, but there's no reason to take the risk with metals. The plastic screen works very well.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 PM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

304 will still rust you would have to use 316
Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

ya read it a little better and mostly seem to be a tank divider screen.

Going to try this i think when i set up my 25.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:16 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Doug has one here he had it on his 170 cube a few years back. did a great job. I have been thinking about doing the ATs one for a while now. with my SPS tank... its suppose to take out Nitrates,Nitrites, Ammonia, Phoshates too... and feed your tank. So once Doug is done with his Nano SPS tank Im going to get him ove rhere to help me install one...

May be we can get DOug to chime in with his Opinion and comments about his ATS....
Old 11-25-2008, 10:24 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

the floating screen is interesting considering I have a 12x16" open area in my sump
Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Hey guys. I figured I would just post a bit now, perhaps more later. I have to go watch figure skating.

Lets keep the thread about turf scrubbing and not about the other threads in particular for many reasons, some that we dont need on here.

Many of us used scrubbers before they became the current do it yourself fad but apparently none of us were to bright when running our scrubbers. And I will leave it at that and post later about our use of turf scrubbers, including Eric B and other pros I communicated with back then in regards to their use.

Their are some real long "good" turf scrubber threads on RC that can be searched under ATS if anyone is interested.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:32 AM

cvermeulen is on a distinguished road

Thanks for chiming in Doug. any and all discussion is welcome and of interest here of course. What my ulterior motive is though is seeking out the market for relatively inexpensive professionally built units. Reef equipment as a rule seems to be mroe expensive than necessary, so if I can be the guy to make the stuff, I can probably make it at a reasonable cost, particularly if I make a lot of them.

I was looking at HD today, at small fluorescent light fixtures, and a ~2000 lumen unit that's about 18x10x6" could be built for about $100 in materials (sans pump). This would be enough to effectively filter a 200gallon reef tank almost by itself. Miniaturizing to the nano folks would be hard, but it's a challenge I want to try if someone wants to give me a list of their requirements.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:15 PM

argan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to argan

Would you use a starter culture of algae or just allow what is already in your system to populate it?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

186scrubber_screen.jpg

scrubber.jpg

The screen in my was fairly stiff. About 240 sq. in. Lit with two 65w power compacts @ 67k. The pic of the scrubber was when it was new. Its the 250 larger model once sold by IA.

Was designed to be a nice looking fixture, to set on your sumpless aquarium, something like a 120 and up, behind something like a Hamilton or PFO duel halide fixture hood. Thus the high price.

I suppose any screen growing algae would work fine. The dump feature of one like mine, provided the tank with a surge but more so the algae with back & forth motion and oxygen when exposed, which is suppose to make the turf a more efficient filter than submersed algaes.

It worked well when I used it, with no measurable phosphate, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, etc. I never used a phosphate removed until recently.

HOWEVER, I did run a good skimmer with it and despite whats being said on the net, never found that the scrubber could handle that size tank alone with no skimmer. I suppose in many situations with certain types of tanks it would do fine.

And again, despite whats being said, we scrapped our algae from the screen into a sink. I would say the skimmer helped with preventing water discoloration, so as much carbon was not required.

I wish I lived where I could again run a large tank and set it up as a scrubber only aquarium which would maintain species that flourish in that environment.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:02 PM

argan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to argan

I'm going to try to build one tonight. seems worth the effort now that i've seen Santamonica's designs. Also I'm going to use a SQWD to modulate the flow

Tags
algae, ats, scrubber, turf