Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 AM

walloutlet is on a distinguished road
Default 2 Part Dosing (Ca and Mg)

I have been doing lots of reading on the DIY dosing techniques presented by Dr Randy Farley (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php) and have noticed some varying opinions (as always lol!).

The link above is from 2006 and the latest information that I can find wrt dosing Ca and Mg with Calcium Chloride and Epsom salts is sometime in the first part of 2009.

So I was wondering if anyone around here has any personal experience using this technique? If so, where do you typically get the products and are you aware of any draw backs or catches?

I am currently dosing Ca and Mg with Tailored Aquatics supplements but my tank is starting to consume more and more and I am finding it hard to keep out at $35 a bottle. I also am running a Kalk reactor and am adding about 1tsp of kalk to the reactor per week. Its a slow drip for top off as well.

Perhaps there are some other suggestions out there.

Looking forward to the discussion.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:47 AM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

epsom salts are mag sulfate. so your sulfates will climb. That's ok for small, ocassional adjustments but not for long term doseing. (I think). I would order some bulk chems from littlesilvermax ( he's close). I don't actually know what I am talking about but I just got some bulk chems and am about to go that route as well
Old 03-11-2010, 02:40 AM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

I have been using this recipe for a couple of years now for my now 200 gal SPS tank. I use a box of baking soda and 2.5 cups of calcium chloride every 8-10 days. I have a dual Aquadoser adding both. I supplement the magnesium portion weekly using the epsom salts/magnesium chloride solution when I do water changes.

This is a very inexpensive and effective solution to buying very expensive pre-made solutions.

Littlesilvermax or Bulk Reef Supply sound like a good source of the materials you need. You can also buy these materials from chemical supply houses, but you are looking at buying 50 lb bags of each at a minimum.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I've been using this method for quite a few months now and everything is going swimmingly. No adverse affects yet that I can see. Things are growing wonderfully for me. In fact, Alk (baking soda) and calcium (from littlesilvermax) is the only thing that I dose my tank. Nothing else. Here's how I mix it all up: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?p=499780

I dose with a Profilux doser automatically every two hours for each (staggered by half an hour as you don't want to dose both at exactly the same time).
Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I've been using this method for quite a few months now and everything is going swimmingly. No adverse affects yet that I can see. Things are growing wonderfully for me. In fact, Alk (baking soda) and calcium (from littlesilvermax) is the only thing that I dose my tank. Nothing else. Here's how I mix it all up: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?p=499780

I dose with a Profilux doser automatically every two hours for each (staggered by half an hour as you don't want to dose both at exactly the same time).
Yeah, I read most of your thread already. Apart from the other reading I have done wrt to 2 part dosing yours set my mind to actually moving fwd with it. That and the fact I am running out of my Tailored Aquatics stuff!

Great job on the pics, do you also run a Kalk Reactor? Since I started up mine, my Alk has been rock solid. However, I have a pretty low demand tank right now.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:06 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2 Part Dosing (Ca and Mg)

Nope, I have never used a kalk reactor.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:36 PM

I didn't think so. I was just curious since I do and my Alk seems pretty stable. Don't think there will be a need for baking any soda for a little bit. But as always, I'll just have to keep the water tests up.

Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

If your alk levels are stable (supported by the Kalk), then you probably don't need to be adding Ca separately. Kalk will supply both. When your Alk starts falling, it is usually an indication that you need to increase supply of both Ca/Alk.

You are likely overdosing Ca at the moment.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
If your alk levels are stable (supported by the Kalk), then you probably don't need to be adding Ca separately. Kalk will supply both. When your Alk starts falling, it is usually an indication that you need to increase supply of both Ca/Alk.

You are likely overdosing Ca at the moment.
I was always under the impression that Kalk just maintained Ca (meaning it added small amounts). I finally got my Ca levels to around 430ppm after a month long dosing fight.

Went through and re-read all I could find on Alk/Mg/Ca balances and forgot its not about shooting for a target level, more of finding a balance that all three will support. Hopefully, my memory will serve me better in the future. I think I have it all balanced out pretty good now, since most levels have been stable for a while.

Thread was originally intended to see if the 2 part dosing technique was still practiced and it apparently is by a large number of people. Which is good news because I rather like the chemistry behind the hobby and would rather move to a move DIY (aka tinker) method.

LOL.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 PM

littlesilvermax is on a distinguished road

It takes a lot of calium to get your levels up cause your salt (IO) is very low in calcium and magnesium in the first place.

Bring up newly made up water to the appropriate levels (I recommend 10 , 1380, 430) and then you will find things are quite easy to maintain from there, especially with a fairly light load like you have.

From there you can use kalk or two part, it likely will not take much.
Calcium, Kalk, RO filters, magnesium, Excellent prices

Tags
calcium, dosing, magnesium