Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2019, 09:50 PM

Phormium is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on invasive something...

My 120 gal reef tank has been active and problem-free (knock on wood) for at least 5 years. I haven’t added anything new in a long time but the last fish were in 6 weeks of QT and the last corals were inspected and dipped. Ages ago, I thought I had an Aiptasia infection (as waaaay back at one point near the start I did) because I saw tiny polyps, with tiny tubes growing on the rocks. They’d retract into their tubes if you came close and they were mainly about 1/4” tall, brownish-green generally. I snapped off some of the smaller pieces of rock they grew on and took out some of the “clumps”. The clump would dry out leaving a small cluster of empty tubes. Because that didn’t seem to match Aiptasia, I scrubbed them from the rocks over and over again (and, maybe naively turned on the water polisher) and they eventually gave up and disappeared. But now they are back and more aggressive than before and have popped up all over. I need help on determining what they are and what I might need to do, if anything, about them. Any ideas?