Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-02-2013, 08:37 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
For the small tank I'm loving the LED because there is no other way of generating that much light in a small package without cooking the tank, so I say that LED wins for nano tanks hands down. The fact that I am growing SPS in my nano without any filtration as fast (maybe even faster) than my big tank with equally good coloration has me as a firm believer. That said, I find the light at high noon just lacks the same oomph that my halide has.

On the big tank the MH is a rocks star. It just looks awesome. You get great shimmer lines (without the disco effect that LEDs give you), so the tank tends to look more lively and natural. I find T5 look a little flat as a main lighting option.

So what I'm now thinking might happen is that I'm going to try a DIY replacement for the T5s on my halide fixture and put in a mix of RB, TV and RGB.
I couldn't agree more with this post.

Recently switched from 150w mh, to a diy setup with 12 blue 12 white (xt-e/xp-g). I've been very happy with the color, intensity, and dimming.

That being said, it's perfect for a tank my size. SPS has been growing nicely since the switch, and some new colors have come out. I think it's hard to compare different LED systems because they come in so many flavors, but I think there is something to be said about how my leds are maybe 2 inches above the water... (no coverage issues)

If I had a bigger tank (when), I wouldn't second guess building with mh + led combo
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I love my LEDs and would not go back. At my most insane, was running 3x250w DE & 6x150w DE, but these were each drawing a bit more so over 2000 watts of power and it was so hot in the summer from the lights that I had to run a 12000 btu AC and/or switch to reverse photoperiod.

This summer, probably the hottest and sunniest in Greater Vancouver since I've lived here (since the 70s), never once had heat issues or had to reverse my photoperiod or setup my AC.

My 165g main tank went from drawing roughly 600w in halide alone, to 280w max (12 x 10w Blues - 6@454nm & 6@445nm) (16 x 10w Whites - mix of 6500k; 10000k & 20000k)

My 2' cube went from 150w halide to 50w LED (3x10w blues and 2x10w whites) same mix as with the main tank lights.

The RSM 34g currently has an Eshine 60w Cree
Old 10-02-2013, 11:39 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I still had to run my chiller even with LED, so no savings there

you do know, you need MH lights on a reef.
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 PM

H2o2 is on a distinguished road
Default not sure

I am in the starting stage of a new tank setup so I have been adding fish and corals for about 8 months . I have the 60" sunbrite V2 which I love the iphone programing + 60" of vertex Illumilux Marino blue for dawn and dusk and pop because they pop but I find myself right now in the process of adding 4 54w T5s just because my corals are just not there like they used to be in my old tank with the MH and T5s especially the purples , I now different tank but I want to try it and see , so the 100 $ every 6 months + power and heat (still have my chiller ) I will have to deal with but I have to try
Old 10-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
you do know, you need MH lights on a reef.
I know that, and I would if I had a better way to vent the humidity. But the T5 should be an acceptable compromise.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:02 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Although, if I can figure out how to run a controllable blue LED strip down the center of my fixture, I will add that for dawn/dusk effect
Does it need to be 'controlled', or just 'on and off' ?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:07 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know that, and I would if I had a better way to vent the humidity. But the T5 should be an acceptable compromise.
ya but you know T5's are good for nothing but accent lighting..

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 AM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
ya but you know T5's are good for nothing but accent lighting..

Steve
I really hope I'm missing the inside joke here.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Of all the lighting I tried I really liked the Radium 400's the best.

The LED's I have right now are OK, it's kinda neat to see clouds pass over the reef and have a few more dusk/dawn effects and so on but the tank just isn't the thermonuclear bright reef that it used to be.

I'd have stayed with Radiums if it hadn't gotten harder to source them.

I think of all the times I went to Concept and asked for Radiums then they would say "Ya' we have Radions". "No, Radiums." "Ya! Radions!" It was like a bad who's on first skit.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Does it need to be 'controlled', or just 'on and off' ?
Ideally controlled via Apex

Tags
aqua digital, pukani