Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
These threads are fun. It's pretty much the only thing worth talking about in reefing these days. Or those days too. And probably days to come.
Hahahaha. Well this and whether that Such'n'such paly is indeed a true Tyree. Without these topis most of the forums wouldn't exist and we'd have nothing to bicker about

I'm starting to wish I had the best of both worlds. I love the flat look of T5s for the evening/actinics, I love how LEDs make colours pop (in particular the royal blue and true violet's for actinic) but I love, love, love my metal halide for daytime colour. I have all of the above on my tanks (MH + T5 on one, LED on the other).

For the small tank I'm loving the LED because there is no other way of generating that much light in a small package without cooking the tank, so I say that LED wins for nano tanks hands down. The fact that I am growing SPS in my nano without any filtration as fast (maybe even faster) than my big tank with equally good coloration has me as a firm believer. That said, I find the light at high noon just lacks the same oomph that my halide has.

On the big tank the MH is a rocks star. It just looks awesome. You get great shimmer lines (without the disco effect that LEDs give you), so the tank tends to look more lively and natural. I find T5 look a little flat as a main lighting option. I have a chiller on the big tank, so I really don't give a hoot about the heat really - tank stays a rock solid 79F right through the hotest days of summer (I've actually had more heat issues with the nano). However, at night time I look at the big tank and then look at the nano and sigh when I see colours exploding out of the nano like someone sent Hunter S. Thompson on an acid trip with a backpack full of fireworks and neon paint.

So what I'm now thinking might happen is that I'm going to try a DIY replacement for the T5s on my halide fixture and put in a mix of RB, TV and RGB.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

yeah halides for daytime colour. I love those royal blues in the evening but i'm sorta missing my radiums during the day...

i'll be using my mitras until it eventually dies though. too much invested. i do still like it but there's something so fantastic about the light a halide throws.

down the road perhaps i'll choose to spend more on ac or a chiller instead of another LED replacement. That will depend on whether you can find halide bulbs 5 or 10 years down the road.

Last edited by lastlight; 10-02-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:04 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

The current ReefKeeping tank of the month is running strictly LEDs, I believe ? It's a nice tank. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

If I could afford it I would get LEDs I love the colourization and types of lighting available and can bring out the colours a lot better than MH and most T5s but for what I want the cost is still outside my price range so for now stuck with T5 lighting.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
If I could afford it I would get LEDs I love the colourization and types of lighting available and can bring out the colours a lot better than MH and most T5s but for what I want the cost is still outside my price range so for now stuck with T5 lighting.
Ever grow D120. $180/each. I have two running over my 4'. Google them. Read results. I found zero reasons not to buy them.

Radions are a rich mans pleasure.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Ever grow D120. $180/each. I have two running over my 4'. Google them. Read results. I found zero reasons not to buy them.

I agree. Apparently, the cheap LEDs seems to have much lesser complains than the more expensive ones, particularly radions.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-02-2013, 07:52 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Can't believe all the LED haters!!! Did they buy the wrong LED's, or use the wrong program/mode, or wrong intensity for their tank? Or maybe the the LED's are a good excuse for other problems in their tank?

I had T5's before, and you couldn't pay me enough to ditch my Radion LED's (have both Gen 1 and 2). I am very happy with the fast growth and colour of my SPS. And not to mention all the other benefits, including economic with the low power, low heat and not having to keep replacing bulbs.

Well, at the least should be lots of cheap used LEDs available in the next little while. Then next year, they will be switching back to LEDs...

But hey, what do I know... I am still a neophyte reef keeper.
+1
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
I agree. Apparently, the cheap LEDs seems to have much lesser complains than the more expensive ones, particularly radions.

I would take that with a grain of salt. A person would be less likely to complain about a problem with a low end light vs. one they just paid big bucks for. If an owner of a ebay special light pukes out I would think the "oh well it was cheap" mentality would come into play.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Huh?? Did you add up what T5s and MH's cost over 5 years? Be sure to include your power, cooling and bulb replacement costs.

Radions have come way down in price, and I expect will be even a lot cheaper in the next year. Competition will ensure that.

Personally, I would not go for the more expensive pro model. I have the cheaper gen 2's, and they have everything and more than I need in an LED light.

What I really like is the Natural Mode with the depth setting which simulates the sun path intensity and colour through the day. It has certainly worked well with my SPS.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Huh?? Did you add up what T5s and MH's cost over 5 years? Be sure to include your power, cooling and bulb replacement costs.

Radions have come way down in price, and I expect will be even a lot cheaper in the next year. Competition will ensure that.

Read everything. Not just one line. It will make more sense. And I made zero reference to MH or the comparison to 5 years.

You seem to have missed some things.

I paid $380 for two fixtures. So for me to outfit my 4'... Over a grand. Clear?

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.

Last edited by paddyob; 10-02-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Tags
aqua digital, pukani