Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
These are certainly not 'pods' as most of us know them. Actually, they look pretty much like the mantis fry in that link. Here's my best shot of one.

They hang onto the branch with their back end. It's pretty much impossible to get a really good picture of one as the coral moves about in the current. In this shot, it is dead centre of the frame, leaning toward 10 O'clock. You can see both of the large raptorial appendages that lead me to believe that is what these are. This critter is probably 7-8mm long.

[...]
Did you ever confirm if these were mantis fry?

I was at an LFS today and saw something similar on some gorgonians. A bit smaller than yours though, these were barely a couple mm in size. In fact they were easy to mistake as just "general fuzz" caught on the gorgonian polyps but they were definitely alive.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

i had forgotten about that post. well i know what it is now; that's a caprellid (skeleton shrimp). cool and harmless critters. they use their hind legs to clamp on to any sort of substrate like algae or gorgonian in which they can camouflage (obviously) and let the rest of their body drift in the current and wait for unsuspecting plankton to pass by. Do you know if you still have any Brad?

here's a close up of one...
http://forum.mikroscopia.com/uploads...1156918102.jpg

Last edited by justinl; 01-21-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That's definitely what I saw today. Very cool! Hummm, I might go back and buy a gorgonian now
Old 01-21-2008, 03:43 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

These shrimp did not survive. As far as I know, I no longer have them in the tank. Thanks for the id!
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 01-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

I had those shrimp in my old seahorse tank as well. They also did disappear after a while. Not sure if they were eaten by the tank inhabitants or died off.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 PM

Default Three fish that are doing well.

First...someone please confirm for me that this little guy is a Vlamingi Tang. He has settled in nicely among all the larger fish and is eating well. Little do the other fish know who will be king in a few years!

Next...This Foxface Rabbitfish is also doing well. Like the Yellow Tang, I suppose every tank needs to have one of these...so I finally relented.

Finally...another shot of Moe. Just because "she" likes to pose for me.

An update on the White Cheek Tang. Inexplicably, he is now good buddies with the Achillies Tang. It seems that the rule in fishdom is "If I don't kill you, you get to be my friend". This means he is now free to roam the tank and eat with the others, so he is also going to be fine.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

That looks like a Vlamingi to me. They seem to be very common in stores these days.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Reefer View Post
That looks like a Vlamingi to me. They seem to be very common in stores these days.
I can only hope that people realize what they are buying. I did, but I believe that I have a tank suitable for a fish of that size.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

They sure are in for a suprise when it becomes a 2ft poo machine.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Majestic Angel

I've always wanted one of these. So far, he's taken a bit of abuse from the Achillies Tang and the Bicolour Angel. I've seen worse though, so I hope he'll make it.