Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road
Default Which skimmer??

So im gonna be needing a skimmer here pretty soon as the hob just isn't doing the job. My question is which skimmer will give me the best bang for the buck? Don't wonna spend a fortune on a skimmer but don't want a piece of crap either. I have a 75 Gallon with a 15 gallon sump. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
So im gonna be needing a skimmer here pretty soon as the hob just isn't doing the job. My question is which skimmer will give me the best bang for the buck? Don't wonna spend a fortune on a skimmer but don't want a piece of crap either. I have a 75 Gallon with a 15 gallon sump. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Bubble magus would be the "sweetest" bang for buck. I use curve 7 on my 70/20 system.

Next would be vertex omega if you want to spend a bit more.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

We need a poll...

However asking which skimmer is best bang is going to get you a different opinion from nearly every person you ask. Personally I have a Deltec MC600 and it's the first skimmer I've had that does the job to my expectations and won't foam my tank. A few months ago I would have said get a Tunze but that was before I saw what a real skimmer can do.

A 15g sump won't get you a big cone skimmer or even a medium sized one for that matter. And if you get a HOB skimmer you are going to get tons of bubbles in your display unless you consider a Deltec or spend lots of time fiddling with a cheaper one.

I think given your configuration you should shop around for ones that will actually fit in your system and then ask people which ones they've had good experience with. (Stay away from Tunze)

Not very helpful I know but that's the best I can suggest.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, I've semi-given up on the traditional, often recommended skimmers. I've had nothing but problems with ceramic shafts, pinwheels, overflowing cups, plugged venturii's, motors not starting after power outages etc, etc, etc.
A fellow member on here pointed me to Lifereef skimmers and it would appear a bit older technology never had many of these problems. If you have the space, check them out.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:39 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Wooden air stone diffuser driven. Does the job, quiet, low power usage. Only drawback I can see is it needs to be fairly tall & that doesn't work for folks who like to put them in the sump under their cabinet. I don't have a sump, built a little stand to have it next to the display instead of hanging off the tank. I guess that's another drawback, clutter by the display. Oh well, it works for me.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:27 PM

jon.smolders is on a distinguished road

Bubble Magnus Curve 5 is affordable, and has a small footprint. Should fit in a 15 gallon depending on your configuration. I think its 8x10 ish... I have a 60 gallon with a 20 long sump and just ordered one. Should be here Monday... I've heard they're good skimmers.

"Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die."
(Jonathan Edwards, 1722)
Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

I have a Vertex Omega 150 running on my 90/50 system, I ran it in a vinegar/water mixture for 24 hrs for break in. Rinsed it and put it the sump and after a day or 2 I had it tuned and it's been working great for me. Best skimmer I've had hands down. I did have a Bubble Magus that worked well for me too.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Vendor

xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xenon

Smallest footprint skimmer would be the CADLights pipeless skimmers.

4.75 x 4.75 for the PLS-100
7" x 7" for the PLS-150
Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

I ended up going with a reef octopuss space saver. Pretty happy with it