Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 PM

GrimReefer is on a distinguished road

Oh, also....this is important and I'd love some feedback:

Internet connectivity...

What if we accomplished this through your Android or iOS device? For example, there could be an option to "tether" your device to activate web services. What I mean by that is designate the device as dedicated to the system, and leave it within range of the Bluefish controller. Likely this would be a tablet device, since you take your phone out of your home. My thinking is that you can buy decent android tablets for not much more than some controllers' internet modules...IF you don't have one already. An HP Slate 7 is $140, and it's not hard to find much cheaper Chinese tablets/phones. Tethering would also open up a lot of possibilities for advanced functions, ie running scheduled Scenes, real-time weather simulation, SMS alerts, use the device's camera for webcam view while you're away, etc..
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I think you have the day to day setup down pat, looks great. As far as Internet connectivity for me if it could connect to a wireless router that would be perfect as we have one set up already in the room where all our tanks are.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReefer View Post
That's a bit different than what I have set up. Currently there is morning, midday, evening, and night "points". You set the time that each point starts, the level of each channel, and the ramp time:

How do you feel about that?
Ya, that would totally work because each channel can be set individually within the ramp time. How hard would it be for a user to add 2 more set points (between morning and midday and between midday and evening) within the 4 you already have? That would allow a fair bit more customization at the user level. I have a scenario in my mind but I tried writing it out and it got confusing, lol.

As far as internet connectivity, I haven't gotten that far with mine so not quite sure how I would use it. I'd certainly like to make any adjustments from my computer rather than on the actual controller. So I could certainly see a use for that.

Last edited by daplatapus; 08-26-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
I think you have the day to day setup down pat, looks great. As far as Internet connectivity for me if it could connect to a wireless router that would be perfect as we have one set up already in the room where all our tanks are.
Well, in order to keep the entry cost of the product where I want it ($159), I can't have wifi built into it. Having a webserver running on the unit would require a pricier processor and radio module. Not to mention development time.

So these are my viable options for internet connectivity:

-An add-on module that would retail for $100-$150

-Option to use your Android/iOS device for internet connectivity. $0-$150

If you didn't have a tablet to stay connected to the controller (wirelessly of course), suitable android devices could be purchased for $60-$150. This would have some major advantages as far as possible features. As mentioned already: use your device's camera for webcam viewing of your tank remotely, realtime location weather simulation (pick a location to simulate), scheduled scenes (for instance you could start your thunderstorm scene based on a float sensor, turning on your top-off pump when the sound of rain starts...maybe routed through a spray bar for full effect). Just a few ideas off the top of my head
Old 10-07-2013, 11:30 PM

So, about that WiFi idea....

MAJOR UPDATE:

-WiFi now built-in. I got quite a few PMs from people wanting wanting WiFi over Bluetooth. I listened...it made sense. We're using a solution called Electric Imp that is cloud based, and this does not require router configuration to use remotely. No port forwarding, no dynamic dns BS.

-Real-time, location-based weather simulation. Using it's internet connection, the device pulls in real weather data from any location in the world. Current conditions, sunrise/sunset times, moon phase and illumination, etc. So if you're simulating Jakarta, and it's partly cloudy in Jakarta...it will be partly cloudy over your tank!

-5V PWM is now an option by solder jumper (for Meanwell LDD drivers!)

-LCD display is no more. To keep cost down and maximize wifi range, I've removed the LCD display and replaced it with an RGB LED for status indication.

We'll have these boards put together and have our milled and printed cases within the next few weeks, then we can show off the finished product. Fortunately we are still on schedule for a Q1 2014 release.

All feedback or questions welcome!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:20 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

WiFi is s much better option all around as far as this guy is concerned & your welcome, can't wait to see the finished product.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 AM

Stinktooth is on a distinguished road

Is the price still going to be $160 ?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
-Real-time, location-based weather simulation. Using it's internet connection, the device pulls in real weather data from any location in the world. Current conditions, sunrise/sunset times, moon phase and illumination, etc. So if you're simulating Jakarta, and it's partly cloudy in Jakarta...it will be partly cloudy over your tank!
Hmmm, not sure I like this idea. If I simulated Port Alberni it would be cloudy and raining from Oct until March, lol
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
5V PWM is now an option by solder jumper (for Meanwell LDD drivers!)
Spencer, this is awesome. I'm going to come high-five you next time I'm in your area!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

The boards look frickin' slick, BTW