Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 PM

Twinn is on a distinguished road

I too think the profilux is too expensive. Don't get me wrong I think it is the best controller on the market but by the time you buy all the options and modules you will be over $ 2000 plus invested.

I personally like the Apex over the RKE. The apex allows you to track things over the period of 24 hours. Take ph for example, the apex will show you a graph of you ph levels over the past 24 hours allowing you to see how your ph dips a night. This will allow you to see how your tank changes over the day.

A RKE will only show what ever is on the screen at the moment. I have also heard that the probes on the RKE suck.

As far as set up RKE is the easiest to do and does have great customer service. The APEX doesn't have the best customer service but does have a great forum (can't remember it right now but google it) with great users that can help with any issues.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

I just literally setup my new Apex (Lite) yesterday. It's smooth and easy to program and assemble.

I really like the web interface for setup and programming. The programming language is simple, and there are a ton of examples out there to use. The iPhone App is sweet as well. And the display head unit has the best look on the market I think if you're going to have it in an everyday visible area (mine is Velcro'ed to my hood).

I ordered the Lite regular priced for $339 USD as an Xmas present to myself from my wife

I will soon be adding the Vortech WXM module ($120) so that I can control my Vortechs. Then I'll be adding another vortech after that.

The Full Apex can control Tunze with the cables I believe. But because I don't use anything variable and have no interest in monitoring ORP, I decided to go for the cheaper Lite version (exact same but missing ORP and variable ports). Hopefully I don't kick myself for not getting variable ports if I ever go LED.

Cheers.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
That's why I am going to wait, either the Cerebra does what I want it to or the extra competition on the controller market reduces prices on existing units.
Good point. Although the Apex looks like it will do everything I need, now or in the future, and the price is acceptable right now. What I don't like about the Profilux line is that the bottom price is fixed and I can't nag the retailer to give me a better deal
Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatkins View Post
The Full Apex can control Tunze with the cables I believe. But because I don't use anything variable and have no interest in monitoring ORP, I decided to go for the cheaper Lite version (exact same but missing ORP and variable ports). Hopefully I don't kick myself for not getting variable ports if I ever go LED.

Cheers.
Since I have controllable Streams, I need the full version, although I can then sell my 7095 multi controller and that mostly pays the difference.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
I too think the profilux is too expensive. Don't get me wrong I think it is the best controller on the market but by the time you buy all the options and modules you will be over $ 2000 plus invested.
For my needs, I could get away with the III beginner pack plus an extra power bar, but that still puts me around 1200 bucks. The comparable Apex is just under 700..
Yes, the Profilux may have more features, but I can't imagine ever using them. I just have to make sure I don't short change myself down the road
Old 12-30-2010, 06:04 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post

A RKE will only show what ever is on the screen at the moment. I have also heard that the probes on the RKE suck.

You're mistaken or misinformed...I can check out everything on my RKE. minute by minute for the last week if I want to...everything from graphs of power consumption, PH, temp, ORP, calcium reactor PH etc. etc.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
For my needs, I could get away with the III beginner pack plus an extra power bar, but that still puts me around 1200 bucks. The comparable Apex is just under 700..
Or <$400 for the same options with an RKL+
Old 12-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cale262 View Post
Or <$400 for the same options with an RKL+
You work for those guys, don't you???
Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cale262 View Post
You're mistaken or misinformed...I can check out everything on my RKE. minute by minute for the last week if I want to...everything from graphs of power consumption, PH, temp, ORP, calcium reactor PH etc. etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
You work for those guys, don't you???

LOL, no but I am super impressed with their products and services that I've used to date.