Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 11-20-2016, 04:01 AM

Toongraeme is on a distinguished road
Default Ghl or apex

Just wondering what your views are on the ghl or apex? If there's already a thread on this, please post a link
Old 11-20-2016, 01:56 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

What are the features that you want/need in a controller? I chose Neptune because their products offered the abilities that I wanted. You may have different desires.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 11-20-2016, 09:33 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

When I was researching controllers I found the GHL to have almost no issues but lots of complaints about the Apex. That being said the Apex is more readily available and probably out sells GHL in Canada by a large margin. I ended up not bothering with a controller but when I was looking The Codfather (in St. ALbert) contacted me to say he has a lots of extra GHL equipment and could set up a whole system for me. If you go that route maybe give him a PM, I haven't seen him post any of it for sale so he may still have it all. As far as retailers in Canada go Big Show Frags is the only GHL dealer that I know of but has really good pricing. Either system can pretty much do anything you would need it to.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:49 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road

The apex is a nightmare to first setup.
Over wifi it's beyond terrible. Once it's set up it does what I was looking for so I'm happy with it overall.
I have no experience with the GHL but from what Ive read it's a solid unit

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 AM

Toongraeme is on a distinguished road

So I'm looking to have it do the basics. Lights, temp, ph, possibly calc reactor, but more than likely adding a doser. I could kick myself, I had a ghl slave, but sold it as I didn't think I'd go that route. I might also go led and I do run tune power heads. I know I need an adaptive for tune on ghl. But what I've seen so far is if I don't have the initial investment in the apex, everything is an add on..... I'm swayed to wards ghl, but at the same time know apex is so readily available here....
Old 11-21-2016, 11:57 PM

rockworm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toongraeme View Post
So I'm looking to have it do the basics. Lights, temp, ph, possibly calc reactor, but more than likely adding a doser. I could kick myself, I had a ghl slave, but sold it as I didn't think I'd go that route. I might also go led and I do run tune power heads. I know I need an adaptive for tune on ghl. But what I've seen so far is if I don't have the initial investment in the apex, everything is an add on..... I'm swayed to wards ghl, but at the same time know apex is so readily available here....
I have been using GHL for a number of years and have never regretted it. I have the 3.1 ex controller and 3 doser units. I use two GHL switchable powerbars(the older 6 socket units). The average start up system provides the temp, salinity and PH probe. I run tunze pumps and you will only need the Tunze1/Tunze2 wires to run it through the Profilux. There was a major issue with support in the past. However, over the last two years, GHL has made a concerted effort in upping their support in North America. A few months back, I bought the Mitras LEDs and had a problem with the setup. Support had me up and running from my Profilux controller within a day.

There was also a matter of not having inventory available. This is no longer the case. They have an USA warehouse that has pretty much everything and the only delays I experience are the typical shipping delays. There are a couple of Canadian distributors, but pricing is US so there will be dollar conversions. I do not know if there is a similar issue with Apex products.

This is just my experience and observations while using GHL products for the last 6/7 years.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:35 AM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Hey Graeme,
If you need or want any info let me know. I can show you just how easy it is with the Profilux. I've still got buckets of Profilux things from dosers, power bars etc etc. Anything you'd need and then some.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-22-2016, 01:48 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I have had both... switched to Apex last year.

I found Apex is a bit more difficult to set up, but once I figured it out I found it a lot more user friendly than GHL, especially Apex Fusion. There are also a lot of accessories and the computer has broad compatibility with 3rd party products. One thing that I don't like about Apex lately is that the expensive Vortech module is slowly becoming useless, as it is not compatible with Vectra or other new Ecotech products.

GHL was a great computer too. It was easy to set up and I like that they offer an optical water level sensor. The Mitras IMO is still one of the best LED lights on the market too, and their new doser looks spectacular (and reasonably priced... unusual for GHL). The main things that drove me nuts were 1) lack of compatibility of other aquarium products with GHL and slow new product development (just a small company problem I think) and 2) how insanely un-user friendly firmware updates were (firm ware updates would always fail by USB, and would then require a difficult to find cord and special procedure to update firmware).... I really hope GHL has fixed that by now as it was a ridiculous issue for such an expensive computer. Also, last I checked there were not many GHL dealers in Canada. Ultimately it was the unreliable firmware updates, lack of MAC compatibility (now not an issue I believe) and lack of new product development that made me change to Apex.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:03 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

I agree on a lot that was said so far.
I cannot say anything about the Apex, I know a lot of people use this controller and have had great success with it.
I have always used a profilux, so for me, I like what it can do, and in a lot of cases, I've been able to change or modify it to do exactly what I wanted.
If you tried the profilux in the past, you probably were using Profilux Control. This was a bit tricky to figure out and in some cases, took multiple attempts to get things to work as you needed. With the new GHL Control Center, it is way better, in my opinion. The updates and software are easy to navigate. I bought a junky laptop that I use solely for the system and it works just fine, but there are ways you can use your Mac.
I'm sure that any controller may crash, and yes, I've had my P3 go down as well. I have however been able to get it back up and running within a couple hours. But for somebody new to it, it may look a little overwhelming. But I have never had to send it away, I've always been able to fix it. I bought a second unit, thinking it would be good to have a back up. I keep it updated and sitting on a shelf, but never have I had to use it.
As for new and improved, the P4 is now out and a new mitras series is also available.