Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 01-02-2016, 09:56 PM

shiftline is on a distinguished road
Default Apex and device wiring

I'm trying to work out how to wire all my equipment/plugs to maximize my apex and battery backup.

I'm going to plug the essentials into the UPS battery backup and the rest through the surge plug (apex will be plugged in through surge only)

With the use of a few power splitters I should be able consolidate similar equipment down to a specific plug

Since this is my first one setting up a controller I'm curious to see if you guys have any pro tips?
Old 01-08-2016, 02:52 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

You are on the right track. I would avoid the splitters if finances permit, but that's a minor detail. The return pump on battery is optional, but your wattage is low enough that it should be ok. As for the return pump, make sure that you still plan for an eventual failure (even if it's just for maintenance).

Automation is great and I run my system off a pair of apex controllers. Just don't lose sight of simplicity.

Brad
Old 01-08-2016, 03:19 PM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

If the retrun pump fails then the tank should be fine running with just the dual MP40's for a while. but good call.. i prob should look into a backup slightly bigger return pump

My idea was heaters was 2 fold. (1 plug one function) and not having a rats nest of wires.. Is there any advantage to giving everything its own plug?
Old 01-08-2016, 03:34 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
If the retrun pump fails then the tank should be fine running with just the dual MP40's for a while.
This was my point, so we agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
My idea was heaters was 2 fold. (1 plug one function) and not having a rats nest of wires.. Is there any advantage to giving everything its own plug?
I suppose this is debatable. I would say yes, but again it's just a matter of cost.

Off the top of my head, the points in favor of a one plug per hardware would be:
  • Power splitters need to be adequately sized to handle the wattage and would likely be bulky
  • Cable management may be more difficult
  • Apex plugs are labeled making it easier to trace and identify equipment
  • Independent control - May be relevant to alerts, alarms or actions
  • Potentially easier to isolate failed equipment

I don't see why the splitters wouldn't work though. You can always split them out later if the need arises. This is likely six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Brad